• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Blacklands Closed

Started by Rocket Pooch, Feb 12, 2010, 08:26:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

mickw

SEE..............

That's what happens when people go bonkers at Astrofest  :roll:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

DOH!   :evil:

I'll find out if Woodlands is open.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

I think Stairs Farm (which we haven't tried yet) might also be shut, but if Woodlands is shut as well I'll find out.

Carole

MarkS

So we've finally discovered which month it closes!

Mac

QuoteSo we've finally discovered which month it closes!
:cheesy:

Amazing the powers of deduction. :D

mickw

And nobody had to write a letter or anything  :o
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

So it closes one month a year?????
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

Perhaps it is a serious state of quagmire!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carole

Just got this reply from Woodlands.
QuoteHi Carole, sorry not open until March

Assuming I got the right Woodlands TENTERDEN ROAD, BIDDENDEN, KENT TN27 8BT as there are several on the web.

Stairs Farm is open from Wednesday 17th, they have 3 caravans and 1 tent already booked and have space for 2 hard standings and 10 - 12 tents (approx 5 hook ups available).

If you want to give it a try in the absence of the other places, the contact is Jackie: 01689 850 644

Carole

Mike

In that case, unless we can find another site it is off.

Where is Stairs Farm?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

It's at Hartfield, it is the one I went to view and thought it a potential site.  There are photos on the Gallery under events/DSC.  It was pretty dark there, has some hooks up, some hard standing, a gravel road into the field, a shower and toilet, a nearby but only dimly lit village with a pub.  Look on Mark's dark sky website, it's in one of the dark areas which he has pinpointed.  It's on the edge of Ashdown Forest.  

http://www.markshelley.co.uk/webdisk/SELightPollution2.jpg

Link to the site
http://www.campsitescaravansites.co.uk/campsite-caravan-site6194.asp

However you can't just turn up, you will need to book.  I am sure she would be happy with a reasonably late booking if people are unsure.

An opportunity to try it out.
Ignore the stuff about Camping and Caravan club, we've already discussed that with her.

Carole

Mike

Looks good. Only 45 mins from Orpington too. Looks very small though. Not sure they'd have enough room for us all.

I'll fire them off an email.

Fay

Worth a try, although snow is forcast again next week