• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Laptop question..

Started by JohnP, Dec 10, 2009, 10:52:12

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Hi All - just a quick question this time...

Whenever I boot up my laptop it always opens a Phillips folder on my desktop.. C:\Program Files\Phillips  The contents of folder is another file folder SPC 900NC PC Camera..

Obviously something to do with a webcam.. I think it started doing this when I installed new drivers to control Carole's webcam when I was trying to sort out her problems earlier this year. There is nothing showing in startup folder...

Anyone got any ideas how I can stop it doing it. It's not a problem just annoying - I simply hit X button to close folder...

Thks,  John

Mike

Edit your registry, go to the 'CurrentVersion\Run' section and look for that entry, then clear it.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Funny that - I get exactly the same folder opening on my 2 laptops.

Mark

JohnP

Mike - not sure exactly how you do this...  :oops:

Simon E

To run regedit just click on the start button and then select run. Then type "regedit" (Without the quotes) in to the box and click ok. Once this is done - you are in RegEdit - the program which can be used to edit the Registry in Windows XP.   ;)

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Simon E

SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

JohnP

I can get into regedit just dont understand what i have to do when i am in there...?

Ian

just start at the top and delete every 5th key  :twisted:

or not.

CurrentVersion is one of the top levels, under that you'll find Run. Below that level will be individual keys defining the applications that should start on first login. You should find one for \windows\...\explorer.exe with that path as an argument. Delete that key.

Note, BACK UP THE REGISTRY FIRST.

or, failing that:

BACK UP THE REGISTRY FIRST.

JohnP

Still aint got a clue...

go into regedit & can see...

5 folders

HKey_classes_root
Hkey_Current_User
HKey_Local_Machine
HKey_Users
HKey_Current_Config

Nothing about Version. If I click on Current_User there are a load more directories but not a Run directory....

confused...!!!!!

Ian

hang on, let me fire up my XP virtual machine and find the exact key for you.

I think Mike was going from memory, and so was I...

JohnP

grrrrr....... OK will wait - thks... John

Ian

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I think that's the one. You might have to be a bit creative, that was taken from Windows 2000, not XP, but the registry keys don't change that much and a quick shufty at Windows 7 indicates that they're still called much the same.

Simon E

He might have to do a find and delete on every reference to the Philips software in the registry. I take it you are not using the software anymore?

I have had it with a couple of freebe pieces of software off the net, the only true way to get rid of them is to delete every reference to them in the registry.

From the local machine entry you have to drill down into it, ie dble click, which will open the next layer, and do this several times until you reach the RUN location. In theory you will see a ref to the philips software, it might be called by a different name, hopefully not and then you should be able to delete that key. As i said before though you might have to go to top level and do a find for the philips software name and delete every entry in the registry for it.

si

Ian

I think the problem is the irritation of having an explorer window opening with each new login. It's probably overkill to rip everything Philips out of the registry. Particularly as that key that opens the window may not even be labelled with the name Philips, other than in the path, so it still might open a window...

Simon E

Let's see what happens, you never know it might work first time.
But remember

BACK UP THE REGISTRY

;)

Si :twisted: :twisted: