• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Laptop question..

Started by JohnP, Dec 10, 2009, 10:52:12

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Well have navigated to Run folder & can see a file C:\Program Files\Phillips Toucam Camera\VProperty.extp4ex.exe

Its the only entry I can see that relates to Phillips.

However, Yes I do still use my Phillips Toucam for guiding so dont want to delete the camera. Like Ian said all I wanted to do was stop the annoying thing of this random folder opening everytime I boot. I can live with pressing a 'X' rather than having the grief of Toucam not working or screwing something else up. I thought it'd be a simple fix but sounds like its a bit risky.

Thks,  John

Ian

John, are you sure you copied and pasted that correctly? It appears to be a combination of two registry keys. But neither of them are relevant, one's part of the philips suite the other is a trackpad utility (IBM laptop, yes?)

Now you found that key, you could search through the registry for similar Windows\CurrentVersion\run folders within the different hives (top level branch). There's one for default, current user etc...

You could also search for explorer.exe too, but it will pull out other keys that are best left alone.

mickw

It's not something "Philips" or "toucam" hiding in the Startup folder is it ?

Click - Start, All Programs, Startup - and have a look
If it's there delete it
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

JohnP

Ian - you are right...

C:\Program Files\Phillips Toucam Camera\VProperty.exe.... is correct...

I think I will leave as is.. I really dont want to screw something up..

Mick - The first thing I thought of with my limited PC knowledge was start-up folder but nowt in there.....

Cheers,  John

mickw

If you still have the software disk for the Toucam, why not just "uninstall" it (add/remove etc.) ?

It should leave the webcam driver, and probably some other crap but should remove the "webcam" software which I assume you don't use anyway (I'm not talking about the astro software).

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

John,

Simply put that path in quotes. In the registry you will see it as :-

C:\Program Files\Phillips Toucam Camera\VProperty.exe

Change to :-

"C:\Program Files\Phillips Toucam Camera\VProperty.exe"

and all will still run fine but it won't open the folder on boot up.

As long as you make a back up of your registry before making any changes you can always revert back to the saved copy after if it doesn't work.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Thanks Mike!

That worked for me ...