• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep sky camp

Started by Rocket Pooch, Feb 16, 2004, 22:38:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

There is a geodesic dome we could lash the tarp to. How big id your tarp?
Weather forcast for tonight looks OK Saturday Pants and Sunday good. But they do seem to change their mind every hour.

Whitters

Good news on the arrival of the camera. We will have a play.

Ian

Whoohoo! First 3 page thread! (probably)

btw, I will not be able to attend the DSC again, Mrs has a belly like a cannon ball and it's due to burst pretty much any time.

Hope all goes brilliantly for those who do attend. If the weather cooperates, I'm expecting some seriously good photos!

JohnP

I 2nd Ian's comments - Good luck to you all - Can't wait to see the pictures especially 1st light from your new toy Chris.

I also can't make it this weekend - I hope you all took your thermals... That wind sure is cold.

Good luck to you also Ian (if I understand what you mean) - although, never heard it referred to it as a Canonball before :smile:

Cheers,  John.

Whitters

Cheers mate, Good luck with the cannon ball extraction

Mike

Ian - best of luck for you both.

DSC went down to -4.4°C on Friday night (and it felt it) and I reckon it will be even colder tonight !!

Paul, Chris and Malcolm are the mad ones braving it for the last night tonight and hopefully we should see some nice pics from Paul's new lens !

We got absolutely bladdered on Saturday night and spent the rest of the night singing Monty Python songs and falling over, which was hilarious. Despite it being cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey it was a bloody good laugh !!

All in all DSC2 was a great success and I am sure I am speaking for everyone when i say that everyone had a great time and some excellent observing was carried out also. I can't wait to see the images taken by Paul and Chris on Sunday night.

I am really looking forward to the Summer one now !!

[ This Message was edited by: Mike on 2004-02-23 20:36 ]
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Miriam

Hope those of you who braved the cold on Sunday were OK.
We got home safely about midnight, and are sorting things out in dribs and drabs.
I'm now looking at the Forum instead of working!
Best wishes to Ian and family, hope everything goes well.
Was that Jim with the bad back - we missed you.
Bye
Miriam

Jim

Yes it was me with the bad back.  For some reason I did not get logged on when I left my message.  Glad you all had a good time, look forward to seeing the pictures.

regards
Jim

Rocket Pooch

What images, the wibbly wobbly mount on the Meade proved useless for imaging.  On the very rare moments of stability the optics of the Meade we're excellent, Saturn had excellent contrast and clarity with the planetary bands clearly visable, I also watched one of the moon's pop out from behind Jupiter and M90, M51, M95.  

I then spend a few hours using the meade as a spotter scope (goto is great) and then finding the same objects with the Orion 8".  Maybe I should write a comparative review for Toast?

What I might do is put the meade on my EQ5 mount, I noticed the built in mount plate on the bottom of the ETX and I may have a go with it on the EQ5 before I return the scope on Thursday.  Err, providing I can get the drives working again.

Meade 7/10 optically, 1/10 jelly tripod mount thingy.

And I absolutely did not get drunk or fall off my chair, break my glasses or be sick on Saturday.  Not me.

Oh and weldon Malcome for finding that comet, it did have a tail after all :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: csuddell on 2004-02-24 10:09 ]

Rick

One image by Paul is on the gallery archive.

Whitters

Cheers Rick,

Jim We were wondering if it was you with the bad back. You were missed, hope you are better soon.