• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep sky camp

Started by Rocket Pooch, Feb 16, 2004, 22:38:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I just wondered who else is going on Friday and what time are you getting there?

Also is anyone interested in helping me setup a 3m square cover, I have one and it might come in handy if it rains a bit (not a positive thought I know), but I will need help setting it up and taking it down as well.

Bye

Greg

Yes, we are going to try to be there for Friday.

Greg

I have had a word with Penny at the field and she knows that we are all coming. Same arrangements as before (perhaps just the weather might be different!!)

Rocket Pooch

Ok, what time will you get there?  I don't like being johnny no mates :sad:

malcolm

I hope to get there mid to late afternoon.
Pleased to help.

Mike

Chris,

I plan on getting there by 1400 to set up the tent (and hopefully scope - weather permitting) before it gets dark.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Greg

OK. So we are the ones spoiling it for everyone else with the torches on while we set up. Sorry you guys. We'll try and keep it to a minimum.

Mike

The weather forecast so far looks good. They are predicting clear skys friday and saturday nights. However, they are also predicting 16mph winds and the temperature at night will be -1°C so bring plenty of blankets.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Well if you feel like being optomistic the BBC thin it's going to be calm and 0c.

Does anyone want me to bring the 3m squared shelter thing?  If not then I'll leave it at home.

Mike

The 5 day forecast on Multimap reckons Friday night will be down to -4°C !!!

Your best bet is to plan for every kind of weather - this is England after all. Remember Michael Fish saying it would be a nice day just before the hurricane !?!

[ This Message was edited by: Mike on 2004-02-17 13:16 ]

Rocket Pooch

So it does.  I think I'll go with the BBC forecast it sounds better and will not encourage me to find a hotel.

And, yes I will be taking some warm clothing, after 31 years of night fishing in the winter I know how to stay warm.

Actually, do they have sheep there?

Ian

Chris,

31 years of winter night fishing. You're looking good for your age :smile:

winter is about 50% of a year (generous)
night is about 50% of the day (less generous in winter)

This means you are the grand old age of 124 years old. Do you do it every night then?

:grin:

Rocket Pooch

"do it every night" don't be so personal :eek:

No, now you know exactly what I mean.

Mumble mumble.......

Mike

By the way, if there is someone lurking out there who would like to go but doesn't have a tent - I have a 4 man dome tent that we wont be using. if anyone wants to borrow it for the DSC weekend let me know and i'll bring it along.

Mike

malcolm

Chris, The 3m shelter is a good idea, (I was going to bring a fishing brolly.) If the winds do reach 16mph however, i won't bother bringing my kite, the shelter will do!