• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Noctilucent Clouds July 12th

Started by Rick, Jul 12, 2009, 22:10:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Anyone tried photographing this evening's selection yet?

RobertM

Yes I have 20 or so shots, it's really spectacular.  Will post as soon as I get the camera in.

RobertM

Here are the best of the bunch:

22:16

22:21

22:48 (fading and a bit out of focus!)

Robert

Rick

I took a few shots, the best of which was this one, taken from my upstairs window with my point-and-shoot Canon IXUS 75.

Photo taken at 21:28 UTC (22:28 BST) on July 12th 2009.

Rick

Great shots, Robert. Where abouts were you? My view (from Oprington) was slightly hampered by lower-level clouds.

RobertM

Thanks Rick.  I'm in Mayfield Avenue; unfortunately I'm in a little trough and surrounded by trees at the back.  That's a lovely wide angle shot and pretty good for a point and shoot.

Rick

Ah. So you did have the low level clowd too, but mostly it was below your horizon.

What camera+lens+exposure were you using?

Rick

It's looking promising for this evening, too. Keep an eye on the sky.

RobertM

They were all taken with a EOS450D and EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens.

Time: 22:16
ISO: 800
Aperture: F4
Shutter: 0.6s

MIDDLE
Time: 22:21
ISO: 200
Aperture: F4
Shutter: 3.2s

BOTTOM
Time: 22:48
ISO: 200
Aperture: F3.5
Shutter: 15s

The spare room upstairs has a better view so I'll try that if they appear tonight.

Whitters

First time I've ever seen them. Worked out why I always look too late in the evening. This was near the end, I have some more to process and put up. -- You can just make out the front paws of Ursa Major above the house.
Canon 30D 1 second f3.5 ISO400 Focal Length 22mm
12-07-2009 21:59 GMT

Rick

This evening's display was rather low and mostly behind lower cloud, so I didn't get any photos.

Paul, was your photo taken yesterday, or this evening?

Whitters

It was Yesterday - the 12th. I've added the details. I have some panarama's but they need processing.
Canon 30D 0.6 second f4.5 ISO400 Focal Length 90mm
12-07-2009 21:48 GMT

Rick

RobertM

That's excellent Paul but I think it could do with brightening a tad to bring out the detail a bit more.

Mike

Nice one guys. Great pics for this months Members Images section of the meeting.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan