• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Noctilucent Clouds July 12th

Started by Rick, Jul 12, 2009, 22:10:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

Hi Robert, I have brightened it a little, but I wanted to get a representation of what I saw with my eyes on the night, this is pretty close. I have longer exposure images which show more detail, too much on this image and it will start to look noisy. I have more from earlier in the evening that I hope to post up soon.

Whitters

Not too happy with the stitch, but it gives the idea if the extent of the cloud again from the 12th July
Canon 30D 0.6 second f3.5 ISO400 Focal Length 18mm
12-07-2009 21:27GMT

Mike

Paul use the photomerge function in photoshop. Works a treat for stitching images together.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

That looks really good Paul, hopefully PS can sort out the stitch mark.  Are your skies really that dark where you are ?

Whitters

Thanks Mike I'll take a look at that.
Robert, I applied stretch and levels to brighten the low light detail. The sky is pretty good to the north The nearest town in that direction is about 8 miles away. It's brighter to the south with the edge of Uckfield about a mile. We have an old factory sight which has sodium lighting about half a mile from us to the north, and you can see the red in the cloud on one of the earlier images.

Ian

Have a go at vignette correction on the original images Paul, see if you can sort out the darkening. I'd tell you how, but I use the Raw plugin that came with the camera to fix mine...

Whitters

Thanks Ian, I'll take a look at the canon site and see if they have anything like that