• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

I think there must be a PC virus going around!

Started by Fay, Jan 26, 2009, 19:31:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I downloaded  the Firmware updater & latest Firmware to make sure that the cooler is coming on automatically in the Atik, as I had really a lot of hot pixels, which could mean that the cooler has not been coming on.

I had 1.4 version & it seemed ok but I downloaded the latest version 2.2.  I had "Runtime Error 53" come up, plus Maxim & Astroart cannot connect to the Atik camera now. When I tried to open camera in AA, message was"Invalid Handle". I don't know if I am selecting the wrong file for the updater to sort out.
I went into Artemis Diagnostics & message was "ensure camera has power & is connected to USB" which it was.

I have also had a lot of problems on the laptop & desktop, I am sure, in the beginning, it is since playing about with all these large Canon files. Very slow to shut down, error messages coming up about 6 times before I can shut it down etc etc on bothe computers.
I have read online that these problems are caused by runtime 53 error.

I would be very grateful if anyone can put me right, please.
I looked online at runtime 53 correction downloads, but don't like to make matters worse when I am not familiar with the problem.

Mac, I hoping you know the answers, I am sure you will.

Thanks
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ian

I get that on occasion with my art. On mine it means the camera isn't connected. If you're sure yours is, then I'd look at the drivers. Is there a driver update to go with the firmware update?

If there isn't I'd uninstall the Atik drivers and reinstall. An additional step for diagnosing bad drivers is if you have an "unknown device" with a yellow "?" in device manager (which you can find under system in the control panel). Unplug the camera and the "?" will disappear if it's the right one.

Not wanting to be a doomsayer, but worst case is that the update didn't work and it's fried the camera's firmware. There is the possibility of it having to go back to Atik for the update. Fingers crossed it won't.

Fay

Ian , what does fried the camera's firmware mean? Damaged camera?

Fay

Ian, there is no yellow question mark in device manager

RobertM

Fried the camera's firmware just means that the software that you updated the camera with is corrupt.  It's not catastrophic (at least not for my H9) and you should be able to repeat the firmware update to correct the problem.

Fay

Ian

If you're not getting the unknown device, the next thing to do is to plug the camera back in and see if any software can see it. You could look for it in device manager, but I don't know where it would be. Mine appears as a serial port under Ports (unsurprisingly) but mine's a bit long in the tooth now and they may have changed it. If the diagnostic software can't see it either then it may well be that the update failed.

As Robert says, there's a chance the update can be attempted again, if that's the problem. It's worth trying again.

Fay

Ian, the Atik is showing in ports, but nothing else seems to see it. I think i will try & put it back to how it was, I have mislaid the original disc, at the moment. I did backup all files last week so can either use that or go to Artemis site, I think all is on there.

Mike

What you could try is a hardware uninstall. Uninstall all of teh software, the go to device manasger and remove the device. Reboot the PC, then go through the install routine as if it was a brand new device. See if that works.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

I just uninstalled & reinstalled via backup files. It did not work, When I opened Artemis Capture the computer kept making the bell sound repeatedly. It is the only disc I cannot find, I think it will need it. Unless I can do it from the Artemis site. I will try that. Other than that, if I need the reinstall disc, I will ask Chris.

I resaved the Artemis info onto a memory stick, in case,  the laptop said, "Delayed write fail" Device\Harddisk\DP(1)0-0+3, I am doomed, what does that mean? :cry:

Fay

There is a God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I deleted again, as nothing worked & then downloaded what I thought I should, from Artemis site. Did what I thought I had to do & all is well again. Making it all up, as usual, along the way.
Don't know if the cooler is working, perhaps you could suss that for me, Mike, on Thurday, if you have time.

I will now go & have a wash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnP

Fay - I did say be careful in one of my earlier postings.... Glad you got it sorted though.....! John

Fay - I think it is probably this... Looks like you also need to download some software that enables you to update the firmware. Goto this page & scroll down till you get to the 314L. Probably best to double check with Chris though I don't want to be responsible for screwing up your 314L....!!!!  John

http://www.perseu.pt/Atiknew/html/downloads.html

Fay

John, that is where I downloaded all from. I did another dark frame & it looked the same as the one before. Don't know how to check if cooler is on auto or not. Will ask Chris. At least I am back on track.
I wish God would show his colours a bit quicker!! :D

Ian

I'm glad you've got it working again Fay.  :lol:

Flashing firmware is just about the only task I do on computers that still gives me sweaty palms...

Fay

I thought all this downloading of driver s etc was ok. Is it risky to equipment if done wrong?

If you say, yes, I could have a serious delayed reaction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!