• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

2009 Annual Dinner

Started by Fay, Nov 30, 2008, 14:10:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Delphine

Just to let you know - Ian [my husband] has just driven to the Blacksmith's Arms and says that the road to Cudham is absolutely clear and has been gritted.  Car park is a bit slushy though.  Also a lot of water running down the road which could possibly turn icy later.

See you all there
Cheers
Delphine

Delphine

Oh!  since my last message it has been snowing steadily and settling.  Don't know the state of Cudham now.

Sue

Just heard from Iain Pringle.

In Cudham on a test run 17:30. An inch or so of snow laying on the road, falling heavily. Can get up to village at the moment but concerned about getting back if it stays and freezes!

I think he and Barbara are still coming, Roy and me are - and hey there are many worse places to be snowed in than in a pub  ; )

Sue

Urgent.... Meal cancelled roads very bad!!

Money will be refunded and a meal will  be organised for another day.

The Pub will still feed you if you go, but Pub advised that travel back afterwards could be very difficult.

Sue

Mike

OK I think we can safely say the dinner is off. I have just got off the train at Chelsfield were it was snowing hard. Immediately a car went into the back of a van and on the mile and a half walk back to the house I counted 9 separate car accidents. There is a tailback of traffic from Sidcup all the way to the M25. Cars are slipping and sliding all over the place.

Only the criminally insane would go driving down dark country lanes in this weather with no guarantee of getting back.

I will most definitely not be risking it personally and will be staying at home.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

After carefully missing all the messages about "cancelled" I made it to the CofH, one swift drink then back home  :(

Strangely the roads seemed OK North West of Orpington except A21 packed - It all went to pieces over the hill towards Farnborough though - very slippery, if it freezes tonight it will be murder  :(

I think I'll order a pizza and see how many times the delivery boy falls off his scooter  :twisted:

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Well seeing as you went to the wrong pub anyway you muppet you wouldn't have seen anyone even if the meal was still on !!!    :roll:
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

:lol: :lol: :lol:whats the CofH?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Change of Horses. What a plonker !!

mickw

Silly billy  :roll:

I went to the C of H when I decided to give up on the trip to the Blacksmiths Arms, plus it was a convenient place to turn round, plus they sell beer  :D

Mike

Yeah of course you did ;)

mickw