• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

2009 Annual Dinner

Started by Fay, Nov 30, 2008, 14:10:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Who do we contact regarding the above please?

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ian

Sue's organising the attendee list. But if there's anything you want to know, ask away...

Fay

Do we have to book, now, Ian, or will there be a reminder?

Sue

I have started a list of people interested in coming to the dinner. It is to be the Blacksmith's Arms Cudham., Feb 6th. I think that the number will have to be limited to 34. I shall have a chat to Jim in a day or two when he is back and then put details of event etc here on the site. I don't think we have made a firm booking as yet with them, they will require a deposit so we will need to take deposits to confirm places - I guess at the December meeting or by post. I will update everyone in a couple of days.

Cheers, Sue.

Sue

Jim is finalising the menu with the pub and I hope we can post it on the web site later today.

We have 25 names on the list so far - limit is 32, you can choose your starter and main at Thursday's meeting or e-mail it to me. The cost is £25 in advance if possible as have to pay a deposit : )

Mike

Sue can I check I am down (x2) pleasae?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Jim

Hi All

I've asked Rick to post the menu details on the main site. Here it is as well.

A Society Dinner has been arranged on Friday 6th February at the Blacksmith's Arms at Cudham.  There is a car park behind the pub, please arrive by 7:30pm so the first course can be served at 8pm. The address is:

The Blacksmiths Arms
Cudham Lane South
Cudham
Kent TN14 7QB
Tel: 01959 572678

Map Directions: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=544632&y=159677&z=0&sv=TN14+7QB&st=2&pc=TN14+7QB&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf

It is a fixed price menu at £25 per person. Details below (vegetarian options still to be finalised, details on thursday). Please email Sue Peters (sue.orpington-astronomy.org.uk) or see her at the next meeting if you have not yet booked.

STARTERS

1.   Gravalax or Salmon, served on a bed of Watercress with a warm dill, mustard sauce.

2.   French Onion Soup, scented with cognac and herbs and finished with Gruyere Croutons.

3.   Prawn Cocktail with avocado and brown bread and butter.

4.   Vegetarian Option

MAIN

1.   Roast Scottish Sirloin of beef served on dauphinoisse Potatoes with Yorkshire pudding and wild mushroom sauce.

2.   Corn fed Chicken Supreme stuffed with a brunoise of leek, served on crushed baby potatoes with a green peppercorn sauce.

3.   English Leg of Lamb Steak served on dauphinoisse Potatoes with a blueberry and mint sauce.

4.   Fillet of Halibut, baked with a mushroom and garlic crust, served on a warm tomato vinaigrette with new potatoes.

5.   Vegetarian Option

All mains are served with a selection of fresh veg.

DESSERT

There will be a wide choice of desserts available from our usual running menu

TEA and COFFEE

Sue

Mike, Jim has list at present and I have asked him to check and add you and Cris if not already on.

Jim

Hi Mike

You and Cris are on.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Quote from: Jim on Jan 19, 2009, 16:21:42
I've asked Rick to post the menu details on the main site.
Now done. Sorry for the delay.

Jim

The Vegetarian options have now been finalised.  They are

To the starters menu...  Goats cheese grilled over a field mushroom, salad & warm herb vinaigrette.

To the Main menu........ Crepe filled with spinach, tomato & Brie glazed with welsh rarebit & Salad.

Mike

Sue

Hello All,

There are five spaces for the dinner if anyone else is interested. Please contact me by Sunday 1st Feb at latest as we have to give the pub our order first thing on Monday.You can pay on the night - £25.

I still have not had choices from the menu for Mike and Cris, Tom, and Ian. If you could let me know what you would like please.

Cheers Sue.

Ian

the usual suspects I see...

Expect an email Sue ;)

Mike

I just hope the weather won't stop people from making it on Friday evening.

mickw

Rain has melted most of it here, but they do forecast more snow tonight and tomorrow  :(

Could make driving exciting  :o
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Ian

has there been some sort of event making driving difficult? You'll have to help out a not-very-observant Land Rover driver...

mickw

Mike

Mick,

I'm not expecting to see you there for sure. The first sign of a drop of rain and you say "I'm going home!!"

;)

Fay

Mick's the one with the brains!

Mike

I didn't realise they were on the Menu.

mickw

That would be the veggy option  :lol:

Be funny if I got stuck in the snow and nobody could get there  :twisted:

Fay

I reckon they were the "other " on DSC menu

Mike

Mick can you please either get a cab or make sure you leave half an hour after everyone else. I would be peeved to find your behemoth blocking the road preventing access. However, on teh journey back, I would not mind at all being stranded in a pub overnight.

Sue

I gather that the Cudham Lane has had buses going back and forth since Tuesday but who knows what tomorrow will bring!

Is anyone coming via Hayes Lane tomorrow evening and would be able to pick up Gilbert?  I have heard from him today that there is still much snow/ice in his side road and if it hasn't gone by tomorrow would have trouble driving his car out.  Would walk down to main road - junction of Hayes Lane/BurwoodRoad/Pickhurst Lane close by(I think).

Cheers, Sue.

Carole

If no-one else offers, I could pick up Gilbert.

Ken was going to pick me up but if Gilbert can't get there any other way I'll do it but I'll need Gilberts phone number.  I'll sort it out with Ken afterwards.

I am going to Astrofest tomorrow so can some-one let me know if I need to pick up Gilbert by text with his phone number on ***carole's mobile***.  I'll confirm by reply that I have the message.

Carole

If anyone needs Carole's mobile, pm either me or Rick.  -Ian

Sue

Thank you Carole. I will send you a text early afternoon either way after I get back from work.

Have a great time today at Astrofest!

Ken

Sue. I can pick Gilbert up this evening but need his telephone number and address if possible. Thanks. Ken P
Ken P

Mike

Delphine

Just to let you know - Ian [my husband] has just driven to the Blacksmith's Arms and says that the road to Cudham is absolutely clear and has been gritted.  Car park is a bit slushy though.  Also a lot of water running down the road which could possibly turn icy later.

See you all there
Cheers
Delphine

Delphine

Oh!  since my last message it has been snowing steadily and settling.  Don't know the state of Cudham now.

Sue

Just heard from Iain Pringle.

In Cudham on a test run 17:30. An inch or so of snow laying on the road, falling heavily. Can get up to village at the moment but concerned about getting back if it stays and freezes!

I think he and Barbara are still coming, Roy and me are - and hey there are many worse places to be snowed in than in a pub  ; )

Sue

Urgent.... Meal cancelled roads very bad!!

Money will be refunded and a meal will  be organised for another day.

The Pub will still feed you if you go, but Pub advised that travel back afterwards could be very difficult.

Sue

Mike

OK I think we can safely say the dinner is off. I have just got off the train at Chelsfield were it was snowing hard. Immediately a car went into the back of a van and on the mile and a half walk back to the house I counted 9 separate car accidents. There is a tailback of traffic from Sidcup all the way to the M25. Cars are slipping and sliding all over the place.

Only the criminally insane would go driving down dark country lanes in this weather with no guarantee of getting back.

I will most definitely not be risking it personally and will be staying at home.

mickw

After carefully missing all the messages about "cancelled" I made it to the CofH, one swift drink then back home  :(

Strangely the roads seemed OK North West of Orpington except A21 packed - It all went to pieces over the hill towards Farnborough though - very slippery, if it freezes tonight it will be murder  :(

I think I'll order a pizza and see how many times the delivery boy falls off his scooter  :twisted:

Mike

Well seeing as you went to the wrong pub anyway you muppet you wouldn't have seen anyone even if the meal was still on !!!    :roll:

Fay

:lol: :lol: :lol:whats the CofH?

Mike

Change of Horses. What a plonker !!

mickw

Silly billy  :roll:

I went to the C of H when I decided to give up on the trip to the Blacksmiths Arms, plus it was a convenient place to turn round, plus they sell beer  :D

Mike

Yeah of course you did ;)

mickw