• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Yet another M31

Started by MarkS, Aug 28, 2008, 13:15:45

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

M31 last night.  6th clear night in a row at Riberac!

20 x 5min.  300mm lens on modified EOS 350D, F5.6 ISO 800.  Binned by factor of 2 and cropped.

As before, this just a preview.  I'll give it more sympathetic processing when I get home.

JohnP

Mark - I'm jealous - you have certainly got tons of reprocessing to do when you get back...

Great shot & nice tight stars...

John

Mac

Quote6th clear night in a row at Riberac!

Thats nothing, we've just had our 107th cloudy night in a row, beat that. :lol:

I like the detail in the dust lanes,

I suppose thats the advantage of clear and unlight poluted skies.

Dont forget bring the clear skies when you return.

Carole

Fabulous, you can see the arms of the spiral.

You have a good Astronomical place down there Mark.

Carole

RobertM

Nice one Mark.  The stars are a bit elliptical - is that the way the subs have been stacked ?

I must admit it's always a bit depressing looking at the satellite images and seeing those clear skies just over the channel, at least someone is taking good advantage...

Fay

I'm jealous too, Mark!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Daniel

Wow, that really is gorgeous, love the detail you've retained around the edge of the galaxy, so hard to see that without blowing out the core!

MarkS

Thanks for the comments.

Ambient temperature was 18C.  So I'm hoping this camera will produce some excellent results in the Winter ...

Mike

Really lovely image mark. Like the dust lanes.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Mark, can you now come home, please, we are envious of all these good images!

Daniel

That reminds me, I really need to send off for a new passport and provisional driving license!!!

MarkS

Processing this is still a work in progress.  Raw data is 38 x 5min taken with a 300mm lens on the modified Canon EOS350D at F5.6

I need to get rid of those unsightly red haloes around the bright bloated stars.  They do appear in each sub but I suspect they're due to some lens deficiency.

Other then that, I'm pretty much happy with both the overall colour balance and the detail/contrast in the dust lanes.

http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10046/andromv3.jpg

Fay

That's nice Mark. I intended to do it myself last night. Must have been mad setting up in a hurricane............& taking it down 20 minutes later!  Could not get the DMK working with PHD anyway.

Fay

MarkS

Yes, it was windy last night.  At the Observing Evening we saw a lot of fast moving clouds (and it was chilly!).

MarkS

Finally finished processing.  This is about the best I can do.  1280x1024 so I can use it for desktop wallpaper  8)