• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

My first image of Jupiter

Started by Carole, Jul 01, 2008, 02:33:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Taken tonight around midnight. Lots of problems getting anything on the chip at all, a common problem I have encountered, but think I've finally cracked what the problem has been all along.  When I flip the mirror over from lens to rear port, I've now realised it doesn't always click all the way and therefore it was looking at nothing when I thought it was dark sky and image not on the chip. It doesn't help when the webcam is not sensitive enough to pick out the stars, otherwise I might have sussed this a long time ago. 

Even managed to get Jupiter on the barlow this time, but could not focus it at all.  I have not posted that image as it's very fuzzy.

STILL it's all progress and learning.

I also even managed to remember some of what my settings were (I think!)
168 of 222 frames@ 15fps
(I think it was the following: min shutter speed,3/4 brightness, 1/4 gain)

Stacked in Registax, could not seem to get much improvement with wavelets or PS, would welcome some help with that.

Carole

MarkS

Well done Carole, that's excellent work!  It's a good clear image. 

Posted at 2:30am - you're getting as bad as me!

Carole

QuotePosted at 2:30am - you're getting as bad as me!
Yes Mark, I was thinking exactly the same thing at 2.30 in the morning.  But I was determined to finish the job before I went to bed.  I feel wrecked this morning and have to go to work!!!

Carole

Ian

fantastic 1st go! Getting the exposure set right is usually the downfall and you appear to have got that just about spot on.

What I would say though is, use 5fps. The USB bandwidth from the camera isn't big enough to carry 15fps without compression, at 15fps the camera is throwing away detail before it even gets to the PC. But that does mean that you have to wait longer to get a good number of frames.

Fay

Carole, I am very happy for you, a great image. Join the rest of the worn out, I feel awful as well, this morning!!!!!!

Got my image processing at the moment, don't know how it will be as I had a few problems...................what's new!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Nice one Carole. Again, far better than my first attempt at Jupiter. Keep up the good work. We don't have any really active planetery imagers in the club at the moment (though i'm trying to convince Colin to take it up) as most people do the wide field stuff so it's nice to see some pics of Jupiter.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Excellent image Carole, Jupiter's so low at the moment I can't even see it behind the trees.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Quoteuse 5fps. The USB bandwidth from the camera isn't big enough to carry 15fps without compression, at 15fps the camera is throwing away detail before it even gets to the PC.
thanks for that information Ian, that's the sort of stuff I wouldn't have a clue about.  So it looks like I need to take a longer video but only 5fps.

QuoteJupiter's so low at the moment I can't even see it behind the trees
It was a bit of a juggling act, I set everything up before it rose, and then try to image between trees.

I still have the original AVIs so hoping some-one will see if I can process better, plus the one I did with the barlow.

Carole

Tony G

Carole,

Great image, and by the looks of it lately you are becoming nocturnal than the local badgers. I'm in agreement with Ian, that 5 fps or even 10 fps tend to give you more info when processing in registax, but the object you are imaging on the laptop is also brighter when viewing at these frame settings, and so I find it makes it easier to get the image back into the FOV, if you do lose it from the laptop screen for any reason.

Keep up the good work.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Delphine

Well done Carol,  I am really impressed with your image.  You have more dedication than I have staying up until 2.30 in the morning!  :o

Carole

I was following the example of some of my peers.  I also decided that if you really want to do this you have to get up in the early hours sometimes.  I had to do that when I was doing my Moon phases project for the GCSE otherwise I never got the waning gibbous and waning crescent phases. 

I want to image the other side of the moon but not when it is a full moon as I want shadows, so I can see another early hours session coming up at some point.

Roll on retirement.

Carole

Mac

i can always give you an early morning alarm call at 03:30 if you want,
im still working at that time. :lol:

Carole

Thanks Mac I'll let you know if I need you.

Fancy working all night, I did that years ago and it didn't do my health much good.  So when do you fit in your Astronomy?

Carole