• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC6888 Jellyfish/Brain false colour HaO3 & Inverted Ha 75% actual size

Started by Rocket Pooch, Jun 12, 2008, 18:18:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Very nice Chris. Do you mean The Crescent?
Have you rung Ian King yet?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

ok we made up a name for it.

yes i did call him he was very halpfull as usual, hence the results

Fay

Having looked up the Jellyfish, it reminded me that it is one I meant to do, it is so complex also I like it in mono.
Have to wait for it to come around again.

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
Having looked up the Jellyfish, it reminded me that it is one I meant to do ...

I looked up Jellyfish in Microsoft's Worldwide Telescope but it didn't find it ...

Fay

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

I made it up!!!!!  I think it looks like the cauliflower nebula...

Rocket Pooch

Update, got notification from Atik the cooling was off on this image due to a bug in the AA Driver, so this image was not cooled!

Fay

Thank God for that, Chris. Waiting to see the next image now!!!!!!!

Rocket Pooch

I have now got the test images from one of the guys who wrote the Artemis capture software, he has no hot pixels unlike me, so I now need to cause hell.

Pissed of from Mottingham...

Fay

So, Chris, are you saying that your images will not improve when the cooler is put on?
So, that was not the problem?

Mike

Hot pixels mean those pixels are dead and appear permanently white on your image no matter what you do. The higher the quality of CCD the lower the number of hot pixels. Ideally you want none, though 'drizzling' inbetween frames (i.e. having the mount shuffle the image around a few pixels) will mean that you can average them out using a Sigma stack as each sub will have the hot pixel in a different part of the frame relative to your image so that after alignment they will not be in the same location as previous frames.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

I understand that Mike but out of interest I took some 5min & 10min darks with my atik 16ic camera. There are quite a few hot pixels but they are only at the 1000-2000 ADU level not 65000 so when I stack & process my images they just disappear into the background/ signal. That is why I don't need to take darks. I'm wondering if I turned my cooler off would those hot pixels go to the 65000 level????

John

Mike

I don't think it would make any difference. I think a dead pixel gives out a set signal.