• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC 2244 in Monoceros The Rosette Nebula

Started by Fay, Feb 10, 2008, 13:19:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tom C

Wow nice one Fay. Thats surely got to be one for the member pictures slideshow at the meeting! Your imaging seems to have improved drastically over the past few months judging by your posts....lots of sleepless nights?? Congrats!

I absolutely love the Rosette neb, its my favourite DSO to see imaged. I hope to have a crack at it one day when I eventually get a scope  :lol: Do you think its in the realms of possibility with an ED80 / DSLR ? I think a dedicated CCD is a little too expensive for me at the moment.. :o

Fay

Thanks Tom, glad you liked it. You can get an Atik ccd camera for around £300. Ask John Punnett about his one. You can get some DSO with a DSLR, like M42, M31, M27, M45 but don't think you can get Nebulae etc. I wanted to use mine tonight but I have to get access to another port on my computer, at the moment.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tom C

Thats not so bad price wise...I thought they were like £1000! Is that a colour or is it mono? If the latter, can colour be achieved by using RGB filters? If so, how much does a set of them set you back? Some people prefer mono, but I'm defintely a fan of colour! 

Daniel

Hi Tom, I've been looking into having the IR filter replaced on my DSLR which will allow much more Hydrogen Alpha through and therefore allow you to image a lot more of that nebulosity have a look at the post Mark made on the Cone nebula thread, he put up a link for a guy who does the neccesary modification, I've asked about how well the camera can take ordinary pictures after modding and he's assured me with the correct filter fit over the lens, it shouldn't make any difference