• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC 2244 in Monoceros The Rosette Nebula

Started by Fay, Feb 10, 2008, 13:19:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

This was taken with SX MX7 , WO ZS66, Ha, cls filters 0.8 FR/Flattener.
Processed with Astroart, Maxim, PS CS.

L 18x300 secs RGB 5 x 300 secs each channel.

I kept my patience in check & stayed with one subject. I was pleased that my webcam was ok, as I have had problems. IT is the first image that I have processed on my own, although it has taken all day!!!! I am quite pleased wih it, so worthwhile.

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Well done Fay,

Excellent image and it was worthwhile, another to add to your now long list. Have you thought about a Web-site like John,Chris and Mike,
could be an idea for another little project.

Speak to you soon.

Tony G

ps  your batteries are here, I'll keep them in the car and the next time i'm passing I'll drop them in.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Thanks Tony.

Mike has set me one up I must get back to him to update it. Tony, to get that ISS going past mars would be fantastic. I won't be able to do it as my Canon soft ware is playing up.

See you soon about batteries, I have been charging my one up a lot!

Have you been away yet?

Fay

I always put the wrong camera name down. It should be SXV M7.

MarkS

There's a lot of nice detail in that image.  Well done.

Do you know why the stars have a greenish tint?

Fay

My processing . I will correct it.

Thanks Mark

Ian

a bit psychedelic that is :)

I had a little go that one last night, dim, isn't it. You did a much better job than I did... Are you going to have a go at the Cone too, now John's laid down the gauntlet?

Fay

Well, for the first time in ages I have just put the 6" on & would like to try & remember K3, to do the Moon & Mars. If all goes well, I may try & get a few more of M81 & then go to M51. Knowing how things go, I probably won't get past the Moon bit!!

I do like the nebulae, they are interesting, nothing like thinking you have found it & seeing what you have got on the screen.

What about you, Ian?

Ian

yup. I liked the confirmation that I saw what I thought I saw in the eyepiece. Unfortunately, now I'm using an SLR lens I don't get to look through it any more but still the challenge remains.

I still like it when I tell the scope to point at an object and it appears on the screen in front of me. I just need to get 100% of kit working all at once and I'll be away :)

I'm afraid I've just about given up on visual observing in Sidcup. I'll get my visual kicks from the Lightbridge at DSC.

Mike

Well done Fay. Lovely image. Get that colour balance sorted out and it will be great.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Fay - why don't you post the L that you sent to me - That was brilliant - john

Fay

Thanks a lot Mike. I will put L on for you to look at

Rocket Pooch

Carole

Fay

Thankyou Carole. I must admit, I was quite pleased with it.

Jim

Fay

Tom C

Wow nice one Fay. Thats surely got to be one for the member pictures slideshow at the meeting! Your imaging seems to have improved drastically over the past few months judging by your posts....lots of sleepless nights?? Congrats!

I absolutely love the Rosette neb, its my favourite DSO to see imaged. I hope to have a crack at it one day when I eventually get a scope  :lol: Do you think its in the realms of possibility with an ED80 / DSLR ? I think a dedicated CCD is a little too expensive for me at the moment.. :o

Fay

Thanks Tom, glad you liked it. You can get an Atik ccd camera for around £300. Ask John Punnett about his one. You can get some DSO with a DSLR, like M42, M31, M27, M45 but don't think you can get Nebulae etc. I wanted to use mine tonight but I have to get access to another port on my computer, at the moment.

Tom C

Thats not so bad price wise...I thought they were like £1000! Is that a colour or is it mono? If the latter, can colour be achieved by using RGB filters? If so, how much does a set of them set you back? Some people prefer mono, but I'm defintely a fan of colour! 

Daniel

Hi Tom, I've been looking into having the IR filter replaced on my DSLR which will allow much more Hydrogen Alpha through and therefore allow you to image a lot more of that nebulosity have a look at the post Mark made on the Cone nebula thread, he put up a link for a guy who does the neccesary modification, I've asked about how well the camera can take ordinary pictures after modding and he's assured me with the correct filter fit over the lens, it shouldn't make any difference