• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

EQ6 Rebuild

Started by Mike, Nov 12, 2007, 09:57:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

OK I have finally managed to get some replacement shims for my EQ6 from a guy in the US who makes sets of them for $6 (including postage). So, weekend after next I will be stripping down and rebuilding my EQ6 for the second time in an attempt to get rid of the weird tracking issues I have been having.

Hopefully I will then be able to finally get back to doing some imaging, especially now the nice dark skies are here. It's been way too long !!

I will keep you posted.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

OK, completely stripped the mount down over the weekend. It is now in pieces all over my kitchen table.

What I foudn was that one of the bearings had seized up. I took the dust caps off and the grease inside was a strange brown colour with hard bits in. A good clean out with white spirit and a regrease has got it back to normal. I am wondering if this was the cause of my weird guiding errors.

I also found that the shims had degraded and had cracked putting small flecks of white plastic all over the place, including near the teeth of the worm ! Not good.

Anyway, everything has now been given a good clean out with white spirit, swarfega and washing up liquid and has ahd a good dry. It is now all ready for a regerase and reassemble, including new shims (once I find my digital micrometer in the garage somewhere). Hopefully the mount will be back in full working order for the weekend to carry out some tests.

I have also ordered the EQDIR Mod from the states (Shoestring) so I can do away with the hand-unit and operate everything from the laptop (thanks for the advice Chris). This apparently gives a much easier alignment routine, greater control and more accurate GoTo and guiding.

b.t.w. The Paramount ME is down to £7500 - mmmmm, wonder what I can sell......
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Well done, did you change the RA worm end barings?  they are £8 for new units!

When you put it together can you do a PE measurement it would be interesting to see what it is.

Mike

No I didn't. Apart from the brown gunk inside one of them (the grease in the others was clean and looked fine) all of the beaarings seem fine to me.

I fully intend on doing a PE Graph for my own curiousity so I will post it up here once it's done.

JohnP

I look forward to seeing how you get on with the EQMod as well..... John

Ian

Mike, I've got a digital vernier caliper and a micrometer if you can't find yours...

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Ian on Nov 28, 2007, 00:24:14
Mike, I've got a digital vernier caliper and a micrometer if you can't find yours...

Is that a gag about Mike's manhood?

Mike

Oy!!  :roll:

Just ordered a Cordless Gamepad too to control the EQDIR/MOD :)

Rocket Pooch

Did you get the rumblepad?  I did it works from 30 meters away :-)

Mike

Yeah the guys on the UKAI Forum that had the EQ-MOD recommended the Cordless Logitech Rumblepad II so that is what i've ordered.

I believe there is also another Mod called EQ-DEFCON that allows you to use the Gamepad and a high powered laser on the top of the mount to shoot down aircraft and satellites when you get bored of imaging. It's a bit pricey though so i'm not sure about that one just yet.

Rocket Pooch

Actualy I was mucking around with mine in the summer with the lens cap off trying to burn a spider, its a long story involving wine.

Karen was not impressed.

Ian

I don't suppose the spider was too impressed either...

did you get it? :twisted:

Rocket Pooch

No didn't get it, I was trying to reinact a scene from Diamonds are Forever.

Rick

Now where did I read that story about the person who turned the laser out of a DVD burner into a pointer, and burned his fingers with it?

Mike

There is a website somewhere that gives full instructions into how to turn a maglite into a laser weapon by replacing the bulb with the laser from a DVD Writer. There is also a video showing the guy popping a balloon with it from about 3 feet away. I think you can find it on YouTube.