• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

EQ6 Rebuild

Started by Mike, Nov 12, 2007, 09:57:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

The story I heard involved the individual using his pointer to light his fireworks on Guy Fawkes night...  :twisted:

Rocket Pooch

Mike,

I did my re-build yesterday and took out that Egger worm, the shim size on my dec and ra we're exactly 1mm, all the components and faces we're exactly the same size.

Also, I replaced the RA & DEC bearings with sealed units made in Italy and removed the open Chineese bearings.

If it's clear this week I'll fully adjust it and measure the PE.

Chris

Mike

Well i'm in a bit of trouble with mine. The RA Worm wheel will not go back into the casing properly. It has to be forced in and when it is in it will not rotate, it's jammed solid.

The inside of the casing is very rough and I am wondering if the wheel has been rubbing against it in use, or maybe I have damaged it somehow in taking it apart. WHy they make the casing so tight is anyone's guess. I am going to try and sand out the inside of the casing to see if that will give that bit of extra room for the wheel to go back in. If I can't get it fixed in time for the weekend that I will be at DSC without any kit :(

Anyway, the forecast for the weekend at the moment is :-

Friday - Rain
Saturday - Rain
Sunday - Cloudy, maybe clear at night

Where did you order your bearings from?

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Mike,

If you want me to pop around this week and fix it let me know when.  Are you sure its the RA worm that's stuck, that would be impressive, or is it the big brass bit the work turns on?

Chris

P.S. I'll check about the bearings and let you know.

Mike

Yead i'd love some help if you don't mind.

It's the big brass wheel I am talking about. They give you about 0.01mm gap between the edge of the wheel and the casing so any tiny discrepency and it won't go in !
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Can't view that from work.  :evil:    Will 'ave a butcher's when I get home.

Mike

Update!

Chris is working his magic and is confident something can be done to fix it. There is some damage to the worm and wheel but nothing major and shouldn't affect guiding. The casing might need a skim out on a lathe but he is trying to see if he can sand it down first as it only needs about 0.2mm off it.

Thanks for all your help Chris - I'll get you a nice bottle of single malt for DSC :)

Ian

of course, if you get your mount working, it'll attract the clouds like astronomers to a 16" RCX at Astrofest...

Mike