• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

1st attempt M27..

Started by JohnP, May 30, 2006, 10:00:12

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

After being inspired by Tony's picture of the Moon - I decided I wanted to try & get the GRS on Jupiter.. According to Skymap Pro it wouldn't appear until about 2.00am. Not to be put off I decided to go to bed & set the alarm for 1.30'ish... (wife thinks I'm mad). It was still clear at 1.30am but by now Jupiter was too far West & not in a good position for imaging from my Garden.. :-(

As I was up I thought 'what the heck' & set the MN56 & SC3 up in my backgarden. As the summer triangle was fully up by now I decided to give M27 a go. I always found this a real pain to find & image using my old Tal-2m & Toucam Long Exposure...

By the time I was ready to image clouds were fairly thick (lots of low level clouds rushing by) but there was still the odd clear patch. The attached image represents approx' 50 X 12 second exposures (total 600 secs) - It's a bit noisy but I'm pleased with the detail from such a relatively short exposure - The image is fairly well the full FOV I got with the SC3 & MN56. I'll definitely have to try this again. I gave up about 3.00am.

Cheers,  John

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Very nice image John.

The 'noise' looks more like some kind of electronic artifacts to me as the pattern of the 'noise' looks quite regular. If you can find a way to get rid of it the images would be very nice. Have you tried subtracting a dark frame? It might work if the 'noise' is regular.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Thks Mike - Not sure where the noise comes from... I've tried reducing it a 'tad' not really sure if it's better - what do you think...?

Thks,  John

Mike

Yeah that looks a lot better. I am well impressed with what you are producing with that webcam.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Tony G

I'll take the credit for these images because as John stated at the start of this topic:
QuoteAfter being inspired by Tony's picture of the Moon
these are great images if I say so myself.
Keep up the good work (in my name) :wink: and may I inspire many more.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Hi Tony,

You've inspired me again mate... See latest image - John