• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

New Scope...

Started by Anonymous, Mar 23, 2006, 14:08:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Hi All,

I've been looking for a long time to get a second scope to go along with my Intes Micro MN56. The main criteria was:

1. Wanted it to be portable so I could easily take it with me if I go away for the weekend etc.

2. Wanted to be able to use as a guide scope

3. Wanted to be able to take wide field images through it using my EOS 300D so optically must be of reasonable quality (although my budget is limited)

4. Want it to be of different focal length to MN56 which is F6 - 760mm so I can also image through it using my Toucam SC3.

I looked at many different options & almost went for the ED80 pro which I know is a great scope but unfortunately has a very similar FL to my MN56 so eventually I opted for a William Optics ZenithStar 66 - The spec' is as follows:

Aperture 66mm, Focal Ratio F/5.9, Focal Length 388 mm, Objective Type SD APO Doublet, Air Spaced,
Fully Multi-Coated, STM coating
Resolving Power 1.78", Limiting Magnitude 10.8
Lens Shade Retractable, Focuser 1.6"(40.6 mm)1:10 dual speed Crayford Focuser, 60 mm(2.4")Focuser Travel Length, 360° Rotatable Design
1.25" Adapter Brass Compression Rings
L- type Mount L Bracket Based, Field Stops 10 Baffles, Tube Diameter 2.95"(75 mm)
Tube Length 11.8" (300 mm) Fully Retracted
14.2" (360 mm) Fully Extended,
Hard Case Included

The scope has some nice features such as the rotating focusser & 10:1 dual speed. The only thing it's a little limited on is aperture but hopefully it'll be OK for what I want to do. I'm hoping it'll also be a great little widefield scope for visual stuff.

Anyway ordered today so hopefully will arrive tomorrow. Apologies in advance for next 2 weeks of cloud cover.

cheers,  John

JohnP

Sorry last post was me.... - I'm sure I was signed in....? oh well!

Mike

Let me know how you get on with that John as I am interested in one of those myself.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan