• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Starlink satellites on a murky night

Started by MarkS, Jan 19, 2020, 19:43:24

Previous topic - Next topic

NoelC

Saw them - thought it might be the ISS at first, then noticed the others following, just above regulus.
they are going to become a problem, must have gone on for over 10 minutes..

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

MarkS

Me too. I thought it was the ISS at first but then I noticed some ahead of it and some behind it.

Mark

Fay

Ive just found out about these satellites. there may be up to 40,000! are they having a laugh....... say goodbye to imaging...
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Hugh

Hi Mark

Thanks for locating the Starlink satellites position last night.  I sat in the garden at 2200 and watched them come over for a while.  They were eyesight visible but, unless I wasn't seeing all of them (my sky is quite light polluted as living on a corner I have street lights on two sides), spread quite wide apart, so that they were seeming to come over individually ~ just all in the same direction.  Probably several minutes between them.

Best

Hugh

MarkS

Quote from: Hugh
Thanks for locating the Starlink satellites position last night.  I sat in the garden at 2200 and watched them come over for a while.  They were eyesight visible but, unless I wasn't seeing all of them (my sky is quite light polluted as living on a corner I have street lights on two sides), spread quite wide apart, so that they were seeming to come over individually ~ just all in the same direction.  Probably several minutes between them.

I saw only a handful as well.  I don't know what happened but Heavens Above was extremely optimistic about their brightness.  I examined the sequential camera exposures later and found that a whole train of very faint satellites did pass through with approx. 30 sec intervals.  Maybe the sun had set too far or maybe non-reflective parts of the satellites were illuminated.

Mark

Fay

I did look out for them last night but did not see any

Roberto

OMG they are everywhere now that days are getting longer!  I had to throw many frames from the objects I was imaging just after dusk and before dawn.  I started imaging in Ha at -1hr before astronomical dusk and they were crossing high above near the zenith.  At dawn when I'm imaging Vulpecula to the lower Eastern horizon, they are crossing there also... :!  I can tell it's Starlink because there are several parallel streaks across my images - unlike the old satellite trails that were one-offs.

Roberto

Rick

How's your night sky looking? The Reg chats to astroboffin Mark McCaughrean about Starlink and leaving a mark

UK residents have been able to see Starlink satellites – there are more than 300 in orbit so far – passing, and sometimes flaring, in the night sky over the last few days. Which could be a bit of a problem as far as amateur and professional astronomers are concerned. Or perhaps a boon.

More: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/22/esa_mark_mccaughrean_on_starlink/

MarkS

The latest batch of 60 were launched yesterday.  They should pass through Leo tonight (Thur 23 April) at around 20:55 BST.  They'll be close together and very bright but will the sky be dark enough to see them?

Mark

Rick

Last night's TSGARC Zoom meeting ended just in time for everyone to go outside looking for one of last night's trains. No idea whether anyone saw any of them though. Might hear next week...

MarkS

Quote from: MarkS
The latest batch of 60 were launched yesterday.  They should pass through Leo tonight (Thur 23 April) at around 20:55 BST.  They'll be close together and very bright but will the sky be dark enough to see them?

I didn't see any.  Another "no-show".

Fay

ApophisAstros

Didn't look,
Did not appear on any subs in two nights,
So peachy,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

MarkS

Got them!!

Barely visible to the naked eye but the camera saw them clearly.  The whole train from the 22 April launch passed over tonight.  Video will be uploaded later ...

Mark

ApophisAstros

Think i`ve been tangoed , bloody starlink.

1 x 300s sub
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.