• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter, Io, Ganymede Shadow Transit 2016-03-07-22:59 to 2016-03-08-02:02 UTC

Started by The Thing, Mar 09, 2016, 18:12:18

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Image date, time and location:        2016-03-07-22:59 to 2016-03-08-02:02 UTC Manche, France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   Meade LX90 8" UHTC, Moonfish X2 ED Barlow, Pierro Astro ADC
Camera and filters used:              QHY5L-II Colour, Baader Neodymnium 2"
Processing applied:                   Sharpcap, PIPP 2.5.5, AutoStakkert2!, Registax 6

Workflow:
1- find planet on CCD
2- capture 70x120s videos in SER non-debayered format using Sharpcap or Firecapture using WinJupos file naming convention (see 8)
3- use PIPP to stabilize, crop, and quality filter the captures and output to SER non-debayered files
4- drag files on Autostakkert2!. It will show the first frame of the first video. Analyse, set options, output to TIF and set Alignment points - less is more. Stack. All Videos dragged will be processed
5- drag first TIF into Registax. Make sure Settings, Automatic Processing is set to 'Align to Wavelet'. Set up wavelets and other options. make sure Hold Wavlet Setting is checked (VIP). Save as PN to original folder.
6- drag each TIF in turn onto Registax, it will process the file. If using Gamma adjustment you have to click on it's window to apply it (bug?). Save as PNG
7- go back to PIPP, clear Source files list and drag the PNG files onto it. Set mode to Join Files and Planetary Animation. You can deselect most other settings as they are not needed. On the animation tab set up the options e.g framerate. On the Output tab set the output folder etc. The Do Processing.
8- If you are a glutton for this sort of task you could have de-rotated each TIF in WinJupos before the Registax stage to get more detail as there is a bit of smudging even in a 2 minute video of Jupiter.

To replay, right click and select Open in a New Tab, then you can use the Refresh button to replay.

RobertM

That's a really impressive result Duncan, there's almost some detail on the moons as well.  Do you think you'll be a glutton and de-rotate in Winjupos just for that extra detail ?

It's good of you to list out all the workflow steps too which I might try if we ever get any clear skies again !!!  Must admit I miss doing some planetary work :(

Robert

The Thing

I might do the WinJupos thing. Maybe tomorrow!

I wish we could replace files on the Gallery as I have tweaked a couple of frames that didn't get the Gamma tweak in Registax and trimmed the dodgy edges. Maybe I'll just stick it up there with no info...

MarkS

That's a great result Duncan.

I love those moons transiting with their shadows.

Your workflow has worked well.

It looks like the seeing conditions were a bit variable (as usual!)

Mark

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Mar 09, 2016, 19:11:33

It looks like the seeing conditions were a bit variable (as usual!)

Mark

Thanks Mark and Robert.

There were some misty patches and the focus shifted as it got down to -2.5C (coldest here this year) and of course as it got cold I went inside to have a wee dram and warm up, came out 20 mins later and had to refocus. Remarkably tracking (unguided) was good enough that Jupiter was still in the FoV :) However I think the biggest improvement to the image now will be to put in a belt drive as on my HEQ5 as it gets rid of higher frequency vibrations from the steppers. So Mark, 47 or 48 teeth?

MarkS

Quote from: The Thing
However I think the biggest improvement to the image now will be to put in a belt drive as on my HEQ5 as it gets rid of higher frequency vibrations from the steppers. So Mark, 47 or 48 teeth?

Definitely 48 teeth - it gives the best chance of overcoming periodic error.  But it means you can no longer use the handset.  You'll be forced to use EQMOD for ever.

Mark

Fay

What a good video Duncan! you are good at this planetary lark!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Really good Duncan I like it. Why is Jupiter so fuzzy on edges - just curious.. John

The Thing

Quote from: JohnP on Mar 10, 2016, 15:35:20
Really good Duncan I like it. Why is Jupiter so fuzzy on edges - just curious.. John
First, there is the natural reduction in light coming back to Earth from the edges due to the spherical nature of the reflector i.e. Jupiter.
Second, same effect means more side on view through the atmosphere (it's not a solid surface) at the edges - less detail. If you see the same level of detail to the edges it means they have probably trimmed a bit off.
Third, I have used the De-ringing function in Registax as after wavelet sharpening there is a dark side ring and a light side ring to be 'smoothed' away. I've probably overdone it a bit :]

Here's an example from the well known Chris Go who images from the Phillipines.

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Mar 09, 2016, 20:12:55
Quote from: The Thing
However I think the biggest improvement to the image now will be to put in a belt drive as on my HEQ5 as it gets rid of higher frequency vibrations from the steppers. So Mark, 47 or 48 teeth?
Definitely 48 teeth - it gives the best chance of overcoming periodic error.  But it means you can no longer use the handset.  You'll be forced to use EQMOD for ever.

Mark
Just got a quote for one pulley - costs more than the kit! I think 47 teeth will have to do.

JohnP

Cheers Duncan appreciate explanation  and all makes sense. John.

The Thing

This has had flats applied in PIPP and 'Variable Transparency Recovery' in AutoStakkert then WinJupos De-rotation. 70 frames, each 50% of 2000. I'm very happy with this!

JohnP

QuoteI'm very happy with this!

So you should be.. its excellent - There are some parts where the detail is superb (example just as first moon gets to 1/2 across surface)...

Nice - John

MarkS

Wow - even better!

What is variable transparency recovery?

Mark

RobertM