• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter, Io, Ganymede Shadow Transit 2016-03-07-22:59 to 2016-03-08-02:02 UTC

Started by The Thing, Mar 09, 2016, 18:12:18

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Variable Transparency Recovery attempts to even out the effects of transparency of the sky i.e. crud that makes the video have different levels on different sections. It may do other things. There is no documentation! But it worked in this case making the stacked frames better. I could have tried Ultra-Smooth MAP Recombination as well, who knows what that is, but I have used it before and it is goooood on good data. And that's before you get to the Experimental stuff :alien:

BTW The rugby was excellent. Permanent power and networking is being laid to my obsy! And clear skies!!

RobertM

Quote from: The Thing on Mar 12, 2016, 20:50:04
BTW The rugby was excellent. Permanent power and networking is being laid to my obsy! And clear skies!!

I must be with the wrong company  :-?  Who's laying in those clear skies to the obs for you ?

Robert

The Thing

Quote from: RobertM on Mar 12, 2016, 22:49:58
Quote from: The Thing on Mar 12, 2016, 20:50:04

I must be with the wrong company  :-?  Who's laying in those clear skies to the obs for you ?

Robert
I think it's the plumbers ;) Anyway last night it did the usual, fog rather than cloud this time. Maybe better luck tonight.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

Processed identically except the unsharpened stacked images were derotated in WinJupos, then wavelet sharpened in REgistax before being animated in PIPP. I also created a couple of intermediate images for ones I'd missed by getting WJ to generate an image from two others.

BTW it's Io and EUROPA - what a lashup by me.

I think a couple of frames are exceptional now considering the optics. What do you think?

Fay

thats extra special Duncan! you have done it well. I can see I will have to up my game!!

Fay

what do you mean, 70x120 sec videos? is that 70 separate ones?

The Thing

Yes Fay, 70 x 120s -> 70 videos to stack (takes 10 mins in AutoStakkert2! with a bit of drag and drop to load the vids), 70 images to de-rotate individually which is a pain, then sharpen individually which is also a pain. Must try Mark's DECON3 next...

Fay

MarkS

Another excellent one Duncan!

You seem to be getting some good nights of data!

Mark

MarkS

Did you see this about a possible impact?
http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/531865-possible-asteroid-impact-on-jupiter-confirmation-needed/

Unfortunately I wasn't imaging at the time.

Mark

RobertM

That's another great video Duncan, you're really getting some good data.

Does anyone else use an Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector?

Edited!

Robert

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM

I'm planning to get one some time.  However, Jupiter is high enough at the moment for it to not be much of an issue.

Mark

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Mar 28, 2016, 20:53:43
Quote from: RobertM

I'm planning to get one some time.  However, Jupiter is high enough at the moment for it to not be much of an issue.

Mark
Having used FireCapture v2.5 new colour channel alignment tool for the first time this week (enable Debayer and Histogram) I can say that even at the current max altitude there is a fair bit dispersion going on. The tool means you can set your ADC to exactly align the dispersed colour. Excellent and easy. You can have FC automatically turn off Debayer when you capture (since you want RAW data).

JohnP