• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter, Io, Io's Shadow and GRS Animation Manche, Fr. 2015-03-05 23:00

Started by The Thing, Mar 06, 2015, 17:02:37

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Collimation could be improved (the shadow has 'wings'!) but otherwise I think I have got loads of detail.

Image date, time and location:   2015-03-05 23:00 Manche, France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   Meade LX90 8" UHTC, Moonfish 2" x2 ED Barlow, Moonfish variable extension tube and t-mount adapter, Pierro Astro Astmospheric Dispersion Corrector, (in that order). Unguided HEQ5 (bearings, power socket and belt drive mods).
Camera and filters used:   Phillips SPC900NC, Baader Neodymnium, Revelation UV/IR
Processing applied:           Autostakkert2!, Registax. Colour balanced at capture

RobertM

That looks excellent Duncan even with the wings ;)  There are moments of tantalising detail in there.

Any chance of processing the better stills for that detail ?

Robert

Carole

Fay

That is really good Duncan. i had a go myself but it is rubbish!!!!!! i will have to dig my SPC out
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Lovely animation with the moon and shadow.  Some of those frames look very good.

But that wing effect is most odd!!  I've never seen anything like it before.  It must be a collimation problem

Mark

JohnP

Very nice dunc..you are getting pro at getting those animations...

Kenny

Fay

The Thing

Quote from: RobertM on Mar 06, 2015, 17:29:14
Any chance of processing the better stills for that detail ?

Tried a few but I think the bad collimation has scuppered getting a really good frame.This is my best shot without really overdoing the wavelets. There is some good detail in and around the GRS.

Fay

The Thing