• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Orion startrail

Started by Kenny, Mar 09, 2015, 23:13:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

Orion startrail from Sevenoaks on evening Saturday 7th March. 27 of 40 x 2 minute exposures (to avoid plane trails) at 200mm, f/5, ISO-400 with Canon EOS 450D DSLR. Combined in Startrails. Levels adjusted and image cropped / resized in Photoshop CS2.

MarkS

Now that is what I call a perfect star trails image!  Very well done.

Mark

Kenny

Thanks Mark. Less dotty than my attempts in January now I've got my intervalometer running. I realise retrospectively I could drop the ISO further as in the original shots the foreground looks like it is in daylight and the sky was so bright you lost some of the colour. I darkened the stacked image in Photoshop.

Carole

The Thing

Really good Kenny. I like the stars in daylight effect!

Kenny

Thanks Carole. Thanks Duncan. I wish I could say that was deliberate! I had to significantly reduce the exposure in Photoshop to get that dark. Lower ISO next one. Incredible how much light a DSLR can gather in 2 minutes.

Carole

I wouldn't worry about that Kenny, I have done images that are far too bright and had to darken the image.  I did a Moon in about 2011 when it was still dusk and the sky came out blue, but you would not have known by my final image.

Carole

JohnP

QuoteI did a Moon in about 2011

... Well I'm glad I wasn't there for that..... ;-)

Carole

QuoteI did a Moon in about 2011

... Well I'm glad I wasn't there for that..... ;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: