• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Darkish site near Orpington

Started by RobertM, Jan 23, 2015, 16:35:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

MarkH, Doug/Rose and I are going to the Rising Sun at Twitton (Otford) this evening after 7pm.

I may venture elsewhere later in the evening depending on the conditions.

JohnP

doug

Thanks for the invite, chaps. The Rising Sun was very good, and the Dark Star Brewery beer was fantastic even though I just had a half. A very enjoyable evening; we both saw some excellent stuff. 

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

MarkH

Cheers Doug, yes that was a fun evening. Maybe we could make it more of a regular meeting. The skies are definitely getting better, I was chuffed to bits to find m33 with binos for the first time.

Kenny

Yeah. Good night. Haven't gone through the photos on my full SD card yet!

Robert / John - did you go out in the end?

Kenny

"Mark observes a crescent Moon over the Rising Sun"  ;) :lol:.

I think he was actually looking at M33 through his bins at this point. Last photo of the evening about half an hour after Doug and Rose left.

MarkH

Kenny, apologies I meant to reply to your text about Knowle but I was investigating an entrance at the back of the park with parking but it looks like there are far too many trees back there. I also looked at ide hill but there is no playing feild.

Fay

Good that you have a bit of go, Kenny,  great idea for meeting up on various evenings in our local dark spots!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Quote from: Kenny on Jan 25, 2015, 09:52:52
Yeah. Good night. Haven't gone through the photos on my full SD card yet!

Robert / John - did you go out in the end?

I didn't get out in the end unfortunately but I'm glad you had such a good time.  Hopefully next time I'll manage it.

Robert

jpchapman

If you don't mind a newbie coming along when you're next out I'll pop along, I've  used Sevenoaks Prep School ( https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sevenoaks+Preparatory+School/@51.268254,0.226376,556m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x47df4dd42d41d97b:0x14ff08b2da44acec) when I've been out, its behind Knole park their car park and playing fields are open 27/7

Kenny

Thanks. I took a drive round there yesterday (before dark). It looks like it has possibilities. Do you know whether the school is ok with the public accessing their grounds after hours?

jpchapman

I'm not sure but I think the grounds are a public access right of way (?) I've walked my dog around the grounds for years and never had anyone say anything to me

RobertM

Ping...

Looks like it's going to be dark tonight (10th March) plus the moon wont rise till after 11pm.

Anyone fancy an evening out somewhere for a spot of astroimaging ?

Robert

Fay

that would have been good Robert, when I get my Star adventurer, but I may do full setup in garden
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

julian