• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Comet Lovejoy from Bromley

Started by Carole, Jan 16, 2015, 20:13:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

This is my first image of a comet. 
12 x 1min subs, stacked in DSS.
Modified Canon 450D
I'd like to try it again another night with a CCD camera. 

I was guiding on the comet and also did some 2 min subs, but when I tried to stack them in comet mode so the stars trailed they all but disappeared they were so faint. 

The Thing

That's great Carole. What lens/scope were you using?

Fay

ive been looking for it but cant find it!!  thats good Carole
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Nice picture Carole.

The colour looks good and you've definitely got some tail there.

Is it really your first image of a comet?

Mark

Carole

Thanks
QuoteIt's your first ever image of a comet?
I did attempt to image comet Jaques last year but it was too faint to guide on, and gave up.

QuoteWhat lens/scope were you using
ED120 and DSLR (this is full frame BTW)

Quoteive been looking for it but cant find it!!
I entered the co-ordinates in manually using this website:
http://www.livecometdata.com/comets/c2014-q2-comet-lovejoy/

I've stacked the 2 min subs manually as the stars were almost invisible with DSS, and Registax couldn't latch onto the comet, so I did it manually in Photoshop.  Doesn't show any more of the tail but does show the movement of the comet.

Kenny

Carole

Fay

good carole, i will have to put co ordinates in next time, was still getting to grips with the DSLR again, cant believe how quick the batteries were going!! had them on a conveyor belt, charging!!

i was up to my neck and eyes in mud and I stuck to my seat in the frost!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Quotewas still getting to grips with the DSLR again
Same here, it's a long time since I used it, apart from the widefield stuff a few days ago. 

Quotecant believe how quick the batteries were going!!
I bought myself a cabled battery it was about £23 from Astronomiser, plugs into the 12V system.  No need to worry about charging up batteries or checking if they are going flat. 

I know what you mean about the weather though, nearly froze my wotsits off when I did this image.  But at least I am not sitting directly out in it.

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
i will have to put co ordinates in next time

Are you using EQMOD? If so just, just load up the comet's ephemerides in the planetarium software and you'll slew straight to it every day!

Carole

You can also enter it in the handset of the Synscan, which is what I did.

Carole

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Jan 17, 2015, 09:57:06
Quote from: Fay
i will have to put co ordinates in next time

Are you using EQMOD? If so just, just load up the comet's ephemerides in the planetarium software and you'll slew straight to it every day!
And you can load MPC data direct into EQMOD to set a custom slew rate for the comet track. EQMOD can also slew to the object/comet once you have done this. RT(f)M
EQASCOM on YouTube: Custom Tracking via MPC ephemeris data

Carole

I attempted to create a movie, I've only done this once before with the aurora.
It's a bit slow.  I guided on the comet so it looks like the stars are moving instead of the comet and slide 8 is a bit dodgy. 

This comprises of 12 x 1min subs and 13 x 2min subs with roughly a 5min gap in between except when i changed the length of the subs which took longer, totalling around 38 minutes approx overall. 

Any-one got a good download link to Gif, I tried to download one, but it seemed a bit dodgy, so I went for Microsoft Movie maker which came up on the PC. 

http://youtu.be/8MurIcwzqjE

Kenny

This video is private Carole.

Carole

It's supposed to be available to any-one I give the link to.  I've changed the settings to public, can you try again please.

Carole