• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Taurus, Pleiades and Lovejoy from Stonehaven

Started by Kenny, Jan 17, 2015, 03:19:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

My attempts this evening. Canon 450D. Processed (JPGs - need to work out the problem processing my RAWs) without darks / flats / bias in DSS (may re-attempt over the weekend).

Earlier in the evening (17:51) from the War Memorial over Stonehaven.

Later (18:47) when that part of the sky was a bit higher, taken from Dunnottar Castle carpark, a less windy spot.

Getting very bad distortion at the boundaries of my images. Really shows up in the top left of these images.

The Thing

Gosh you have been busy.

Re:distortion  - some lenses are more equal than others. I am new to the widefield game as well, that's why I got the StarAdventurer to have a go. I am playing with a Pentax 50mm which is really fairly good to the edges (£35 on ebay + adaptor for Canon) and two Nikon zooms I happen to have, the shorter standard kit zoom is bilge (see my earlier Orion shot) but the ED 70-300 seems quite acceptable at both ends of the range. Again with a Canon adaptor from ebay.

Kenny

Another go last night from the same location, albeit a bit rushed after I'd done my War Memorial star trails. Not much improvement but can see the movement vs the previous capture. I think the focus was slightly off as well.

Canon 450D. 20 x 13 sec exposures at 18mm, f/5, ISO-1600.