• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC 6th - 8th May

Started by mickw, Apr 25, 2011, 16:56:01

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Got a few subs before the cloud hit.  Oh well, pack up and off to bed then ...

mickw

Bugger
Got 1 sub, then the clouds hit, then some light rain.
Did flats etc. to kill time but no improvement - sulking and going to bed  :cry:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Was clear here, but I was playing about with kit..

Fay

Shame, I did look at satellite a few times & thought you were going to have trouble................
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

There's a temptation to stay the night with encouragement from the weather forecasters  8)

It will be clear and dry
or
It will be rain and cloud

How can they interpret the same data 2 different ways - it's weather not bloody politics  :!

Bunch of retards  :roll:

Mac

they are all ex politicians.

mickw

Quotethey are all ex politicians.

Of course, that explains it all..........................

The politicians have always been a right shower  :-?

Rocket Pooch

No if it was done by a politcian they would forecast clear skies, it would rain and then when questioned they would say they had taken ground from the people who always forecast rain, it is a positive thing and although clear skies did not happen they would work very hard in future to make it happen, on time.

Carole

Got home this afternoon, Mick and I stayed Sunday and Monday night.  The skies were glorious on both days during the day time, but the inevitable cloud rolled in just in time for Astronomy.   :(  Both Mick and I thought we'd get some imaging done on Sunday and set up, but we both only managed one sub each before the clouds rolled in.

Last night while waiting for it to get dark, I tried out some of Micks exotic liquors and then we were visited by the most enormous beetle we have ever seen with furry antennae (must look it up).

Once again the clouds rolled in but there were some gaps here and there.   Mick decided to go to bed because his knee was hurting.  I stayed up to 2.30am and got an hours imaging in, not processed yet and not sure if it's going to be any good as I don't think the dew heaters worked.  The splitter which joins the two together split in half during DSC and was held together with gaffer tape.  It worked when I tested it earlier so never thought to check it again when imaging.  

Mick and I were the only ones in the field and I was on my Jack Jones imaging until 2.30 am as Mick had gone to bed.  

A most enjoyable few days.  

Carole

Rocket Pooch

"Last night while waiting for it to get dark, I tried out some of Micks exotic liquors and then we were visited by the most enormous beetle we have ever seen with furry antennae (must look it up)."

You were not visited by anything, thats what that green stuff does....  You were stoned.

Carole

QuoteYou were stoned.
Oh dear, what's the imaging going to be like then!! :cheesy:

Just tested the dew heaters again.  They definitely don't work with the splitter so will have to get a new one, and meawhile will only have one for the imaging scope and the guide scope will have to manage without (or a hairdryer in the meantime).

Carole

mickw

What beetle ?

I never saw no beetle  :twisted:

Where's all my weird green stuff gone  :lol:

Carole

Some pictures taken by Brian Weller.

On the Saturday of DSC, Brian and I took a boat trip to Bodiam Castle which was a really nice trip.  As those of you were there know, we got ambushed by a female Duck when we were having our sandwiches at a picnic table.  A whole hoard of ducks waddled over to us but instead of waiting patiently for some bread to be thrown down one female duck jumped on my lap and onto the table and while I was brushing all the mud off my trousers from her feet she pinched half my sandwich.  She then went over to Brian and ended up on his chest, and while he was shooing her away she pinched half his sandwich as well.  It was quite a scene.  I have never known a duck to be so bold.

The castle was surrounded by a huge moat in which there were the most enormous fish I have seen.  Here are some photos of the ducks and fish (who were competing for food thrown in to them).

Note the size of the fish and from time to time these huge fish leapt out of the water (presumably to catch a fly) and made a huge splash when they dropped back into the water.

View from the top of the castle: