• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Photo Opportunity

Started by The Thing, Nov 01, 2012, 18:53:52

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

The Moon passes very close (~1.5deg) to Jupiter at around midnight tonight.

Hopefully the air will clear in time for some good shots, it's a bit murky here in Beckenham at the moment :(

JonH

It is pretty muddy looking here too, but the forecast says it is going to clear around 9 and will remain so until the early hours.
I hope so anyway!
Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops!

Rick

Clear view from London Bridge station this evening, and just now while I was walking home from Orpington station too. Bit blustery, though.

MarkS

Single shot by Canon 600d with Nikon 300mm lens on tripod.
1/400s at F/8  ISO400.

Cropped and scaled down by 1/3:

Here is the moon full size from that same image:

Here is Jupiter full size from that same image (but brightened by a factor of 4):

I was amazed that the dark bands are just visible.

Mark

MarkS

BTW, this photo gives the opportunity to measure the relative surface brightness of Jupiter and the moon.  Jupiter is only 5 times dimmer than the moon but it would be 25x dimmer if it were made of the same material (since it is 5x further from the sun and there is a square law in operation).

I conclude that the moon surface is made out of out of some pretty unreflective stuff!

Mark

Ivor

I think you're right Mark, When I opened the fridge this morning I can confirm the cheddar in the fridge didn't reflect much light. As the weekend I shall buy a broader range of cheese so I can isolate the true composition.

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Nov 02, 2012, 08:05:10
BTW, this photo gives the opportunity to measure the relative surface brightness of Jupiter and the moon.  Jupiter is only 5 times dimmer than the moon but it would be 25x dimmer if it were made of the same material (since it is 5x further from the sun and there is a square law in operation).

I conclude that the moon surface is made out of out of some pretty unreflective stuff!

Mark
I believe the average albedo of the moon is only 9%, less than coal.

MarkS

Quote from: The Thing
I believe the average albedo of the moon is only 9%, less than coal.

Pretty dark!