• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Filter step up ring

Started by Tony G, Jul 23, 2010, 21:32:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Does anyone know where I can get a filter step up ring for fitting my 2" CLS to my Canon lens (58mm),
I want to possibly take some long exposures with the Canon but with the CLS filter attached due to living in Mottingham where the sky is more orange at night, than it is when the sun is setting.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

The Thing

Try here SRB Griturn, they can always make you one.

Mac

Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=step+up+rings&x=0&y=0&ih=3_6_2_1_1_0_0_0_0_1.12_85&fsc=-1

you just need to know how big your 2" is mm and you might be able to get just one ring, or failing that two.

Mac

mickw

Not being picky but I think you need a step "down" ring.
Stepping down from 58mm to 2" (about 51mm)

I would be tempted to bodge it - use a 58 to 52 ring and hold the filter in place with tape  :oops:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

RobertM

Fay

Tony, I have a, is it a "T" ring that screws into the front of the Canon & it has an extension tube on the end, that goes into the 2" opening at the back of the scope, 2" CLS will screw into that. That is how I did it before getting the clip in
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Quote from: Fay on Jul 24, 2010, 12:28:23
Tony, I have a...................................................., is it a "T" ring that screws into the front of the Canon & it has an extension tube on the end, that goes into the 2" opening at the back of the scope, 2" CLS will screw into that. That is how I did it before getting the clip in

Talk about keeping you in suspense. Fay what is it you have.......... :-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Well Tony, I am somewhat lacking in techincal words.

Perhaps Mark or Robert will know what it is called, I am sure it is T Ring

Carole

Fay/Tony, I think the ring that screws directly onto the Canon is called a T adapter.  Then the thing you describe as an extension that goes into a 2" opening on the scope is called a T piece.  

I don't have a T piece (I use a 2" flattener) but assuming the T piece has a thread then the CLS filter should screw on the end.

Or if you've only got a 1.25" telescope opening, there are 2" to 1.25" T pieces as well.  

i.e. http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/astro-engineering/astro-camera-adaptor/2inch%20to%20T/camera.html

there's a few on Ian King's website as well.
http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_products.php?category=19

Give Ian King or Bernard (Modern Astronomy) a ring, they will tell you what you need.

Carole

Fay

|I have mailed Tony already

mickw

I think what Fay and Carole are talking about a "prime focus camera adapter" with a Canon T ring attached.
The prime focus adapter is the tube you shove up the bum of a telescope that replaces the eyepiece.  On the camera end of the tube is a thread, this is what a "T Ring" screws to that converts the tube thread to the bayonet fitting of the Canon - so you can attach the camera to the focuser of the scope.

All you need is what you said - a step down ring from 52mm to 2".
Roberts or Marks link or Ian King or Bernard should have what you want.

Or you could move in with Mac or Chris and sod the CLS
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Tony G

Thanks for all your replys, but Mark's and Robert's are I think the one's I'm after, as I already have the T-thread Adapter which Fay and Carole are suggesting, which I have and used (not to many times) with the WO66, but was looking to use the CLS filter directly on the end of any of the 58mm Canon lenses I have, and save me the price of a clip-in one.

http://www.baader-planetarium.de/sektion/s44/s44.htm#filterhalter

Tony G

Tony G

Quote from: mickw on Jul 24, 2010, 20:21:14
Or you could move in with Mac or Chris and sod the CLS

The rings are Cheaper. ;)

Tony G

Mac

QuoteOr you could move in with Mac or Chris and sod the CLS

Mates rates. :D
or you can bed down for free in the observatory.
Free electricity.

Mac