• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hi there!

Started by Ann, Mar 13, 2010, 22:25:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Ann

Just want to introduce myself to the forum. I am a novice skywatcher, I have been reading a lot of books relating to quantum physics, astronomy and cosmology and I must say I have become totally fascinated by the universe and our place within it.

Like previous posters I, too, would like to buy a decent telescope in order to participate in the wonders of astronomy. I would, therefore, really like to come and join some of you and get some good advice about the kind of telescope I should buy because I don't know where to start. :roll:

Look forward to coming to one of your meetings in the not too distant future.

Regards Ann

Rick

Welcome, Ann. You're welcome to come along to an observing evening (meeting in the "Change of Horses" in Farnborough Village) or one of our main meetings at High Elms. Details are on our main website.

Also, you should now be able to contribute to discussions in other parts of the forum.

doug

Welcome, Ann from Rose and Doug.  There is an Observing evening this Tuesday, meeting at the "Change of Horses" pub in Farnborough village, at about 7.30pm.  If you see a group of strange looking persons sitting in one corner of the pub, come and make yourself known. 

Looking forward to meeting you,

Rose and Doug.  :D
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Hi Ann,

Nice to have another female on board.  Yes do come along to Observing sessions and meetings, and chat on this forum.  There are lots of members with years of experience ready to offer advice on buying that first telescope.

The big question is how much can you afford, and what do you want to do.  Initially most people just want to observe and a reflector or Cassegrain will give you the best views of planets etc and some Deep sky objects.  If however you think you might want to move on to imaging, you will want a completely different set up, although the above (if motorised) will suffice for Moon and Planetary imaging.

(Do read the thread currently posted to Smuudge/ Ben).

I would recommend getting a motorised set up which although might take you a little while to get to grips with (we can help and advise), it will follow the Earth's rotation so you don't have to keep finding the said object every time it drifts out of view.  Also a planisphere (again see the thread to Smuudge).  

Try to familiarise yourself with the mechanics of the Earth's rotation and axis and how it affects the night sky, and why we only see some constellations in the summer and some in the winter.  You've don't some pretty heavy reading already, so you may have already covered this.  You may find is useful to see how the celestial sphere is charted.  

Look forward to seeing you at one of our meetings, do introduce yourself.

Carole  

Ann

Thanks for the welcome, the invitations to your meetings and the advice about telescopes. I have been looking at some of your pictures on the main web site and I can see I'm going to become addicted to this pastime! I'd love to have a go at astrophotography but little steps at a time! I confess that most of my time recently has been looking into the physics relating to the origins and  function of the universe rather than looking at the night sky but I have been familiarising myself with planets, nebulae etc on the 'net.

Unfortunately, I cannot make the meeting on Tuesday as my daughter will be going into hospital overnight in Beckenham. However, both of us would like to attend sometime soon after that. I'm not sure where your meetings are as I live in Chelsea but as my daughter lives in Beckenham she will keep me right!

I'm  looking forward to meeting with you soon.

Regards Ann

mickw

Hi Ann,
Our observing evenings take place at High Elms, but we meet first at the Change of Horses in Farnborough Village as you would have read on the main website.

Our regular meetings also take place at High Elms in the BEECHE Centre but we go directly there.
Hope to meet you sometime.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Hi Ann. Welcome to the forum and hopefully the society too.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

Greetings from Mac.

I see you are already well read
QuoteI have been reading a lot of books relating to quantum physics, astronomy and cosmology

So what are your views regarding cosmological inflation just after the grand unification epoch and do you think it was truly driven by a negative-pressure vacuum energy density?
Just kidding.
The Joys of studding for a degree in Astronomy. ;)

nice to see that you have taken a detailed interest in the science behind all these wonderful things.

Are you studding off your own back or are you studying through a university?

As Carol said have a look at the replies to Smudge, as all the questions are pretty much answered there.

Above all, enjoy.

Mac.

Ann

Hi Mac,

What a good question. Perhaps we could discuss my thoughts on this sometime if we should meet up at one of the meetings. Are you studying Astronomy at the moment?

In response to your other question, I am not studying the subject formally, alhough I may pursue an Astronomy course with the OU. Not sure who else does them. My degree is in the social sciences and I must admit that had I known I would have developed such an intense fascination for astronomy, I certainly would have taken my further education in that direction. However, better late than never eh? :lol:

Hope to meet you and the others and join the society real soon.

Regards

Ann

Mac

QuoteAre you studying Astronomy at the moment?

Yup.
5th year now. 8)

doing a nice modular one through the uni of central Lancashire.
http://www.astronomy.ac.uk/

so very little pressure, although like most students, i leave the work till the very last minute :cheesy:
shouldn't really.

Mac

RobertM

Hi Ann,

A warm welcome to the society forum and I look farward to seeing you at one of the society meetings sometime.

I'm also doing a Astronomy degree but it's from Open University, thoroughly recommended as well.  It's not a pure Astronomy degree but Natural Sciences where you can pick lots of astronomy modules and mix them with Earth Sciences.  One of the highlights is the practical trip to Majorca, it is certainly not one to miss!  Unfortunately mine's currently on hold pending availability of some spare time but I hope to pick it up again sometime soon.

Robert

Ann

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, much appreciated.

Also thanks Robert for the info on the OU. You seemed to be enjoying the course Robert. I have been thinking about moving on to a degree in the OU, it really appeals to me. I will however, checkout Mac's course too, that is another option for me to consider.

Regards
Ann

Delphine

Quote from: Ann on Mar 17, 2010, 21:57:22
I have been thinking about moving on to a degree in the OU, it really appeals to me.
Regards
Ann

Hi Ann

Welcome to the forum and hopefully to the society as well.

I can thoroughly recommend the OU courses.  I got a degree in natural sciences with the OU a few years ago and then got hooked and continued with their astronomy courses which I have really enjoyed. 

Delphine