• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observatory installation progress

Started by Carole, Feb 25, 2010, 17:47:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I saw your other post after I had replied to this one.  So have Altair Astro got one for you?

As I said they will be at Kelling Heath so could collect it for you if it's any help.

Carole

Mac

Carole

Your post prompted me to ask them if they had an update.  This was the reply on the POD Forum:

Hi Carole, we've sent your order to Wayne and we're waiting to hear back on a shipping date imminently. Nick

Mac

So, almost a month has passed.
Any updates.

I've looked into the pods, and probably should have ordered one at Astrofest.
It seems that they manufacturers only produce a run when they have a large order to reduce costs.

oh well. I'll order mine when i move.
i'll probably get the 3 bay one.

Mac.

Carole

Hi Mac.  This was the post I was replying to when my monitor died on me (see PC section).

No progress, still waiting for Observatory to even be finished/dispatched from Canada.  Looks like every-one is in the same position.  I think they wait until they get a large enough order so the factory can do them all in one batch, then they have to wait for a shipping slot. 

Very frustrating, but it's not really as if I am missing much in the way of imaging at present but it would be nice to get everything set up.  I picked up the Pier at Kelling Heath (as Altair Astro were there).  I think this is being installed soon.  Would do it myself except my son in law has to organise the hole in the decking around it so I'm letting him do it.

Carole

Carole

Well I've been told my observatory is on a ship on it's way over to the UK.  

Carole

Mac

Its not called the Titanic is it?

Mike

Let's hope it doesn't get hijacked by pirates.

:police:  :police:  :police:
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

My goodess this is slow progress.  The POD is in the Warehouse and am just waiting for a delivery date.

In the meantime my son-law installed the pier last week.  I have not yet put the top plates on it, as I thought I'd wait for the POD to arrive. 

He has made a wooden plate around the pier to cover the open space but big enough to put my battery on it (leaving a small gap so there is no vibration). 

C

mickw

I wonder how rusty it will get before the "Pod" arrives  ;)

Sorry, the voices made me say it   :oops:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

thats a tube not a pier?  shiny though....

Did you get the Skypod?

Mike

Why do you need a battery in an observatory?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Mike, I think there is some confusion here, its not yet an observatory.......

Mike

Exactly, it's a tube sticking out the ground so far. So why the battery ?

Carole

Yup, it's currently a tube the lower part of the pier
QuoteI have not yet put the top plates on it, as I thought I'd wait for the POD to arrive
see Post 24# for what it will look like.
So why the battery
My mains adapter doesn't work properly and I've got in the habit of using the battery for everything except the laptop.  The mains adapter works on the ETX, but when I use the CG5, as soon as it starts slewing it cuts out.  
I guess I need to get another one, but haven't got around to it.

QuoteDid you get the Skypod?
Yup.