• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observatory installation progress

Started by Carole, Feb 25, 2010, 17:47:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

QuoteI wonder how rusty it will get before the "Pod" arrives
You don't know how true your words are Mick.

Despite the carrier failing to get in touch with me 3 times last week when he was supposed to, Altair Astro finally told me they could deliver it today.  I said it was not convenient as I was giving talks at schools today with the Outreach group and asked them to arrange another date.  But they text me back and said it would have to be today (I foolishly had said my husband would be in as a last resort). 

Well I wanted to be here to make sure everything was as it should be and to ask any questions if need be, so I arranged for Doug to take over the talks with Ken as a back up and delivered copies of the talks to them over the weekend.  Doug is a newbie at these talks and it was Ken's first time.

Blow me down if I don't get a text from them this morning at 7am to say the driver had injured himself and gone to A&E.

I am sure this is BS after all the previous experience, so am STILL waiting for my Observatory.

P......d off or what!!!

Mac, I think there are other people supplying PODs now, I suggest you shop around.

Carole

Mike

Why don't you cancel the order and get it elsewhere?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

QuoteMac, I think there are other people supplying PODs now,

I had noticed that, but i was wondering if they were going to be the same
in that the delay seemed to be in the shipping from the supplier.
i.e. they waited for a container to be filled. to save on costs.

Or was that down to who you ordered it from waiting untill they had a container full, before placing a bulk order.

Either way I think its a bit cheeky.

I'd ring them back and tell them when you want it delivered and if its not delivered tell them you want your money back.
Or start asking for compensation.

Mac.

Carole

QuoteWhy don't you cancel the order and get it elsewhere?
Can't cope with starting all over again.  I've already had to pay in full and all the hassle of trying to cancel and get the money back, plus having to wait another 4 months for it to be made and shipped.

QuoteOr was that down to who you ordered it from waiting untill they had a container full, before placing a bulk order.
Not sure.

QuoteI'd ring them back and tell them when you want it delivered
Trying to speak to them on the phone is impossible, it's always on answerphone.  Only contact seems to be via E mail and now by text (now I have his mobile number).  

It seems from the PAIG website that there is some-one else in the same position as me who got the same text as me this morning.  Now since I live about 3 1/2 hours drive away, each way (7 hours), I can't see how the same driver was planning to do two deliveries in one day.  I am getting more and more convinced they have a courier problem.

I have sent them a suitable p....d off text this evening and if they don't sort it out in the next few days am going to hire a van and drive up there and collect it myself.

Carole

Mike

If it was me I would cancel it. it would be worth it just to piss them off and show them they can't treat people like that.

At the least you should be demanding some kind of money back for the inconvenience and poor service.

You should post about the poor service on the UKAI website too so others are warned about them.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

QuoteYou should post about the poor service on the UKAI website too so others are warned about them.
Was planning to do that, but just want to get the goods first.

Carole

Carole

Just got a new delivery date (E Mailed to me at 23.18) for Tuesday 22nd.  The Owner of Altair Astro says he will deliver it personally that day if necessary.

Carole

PhilB

Quote from: Carole on Jun 16, 2010, 23:30:20Just got a new delivery date (E Mailed to me at 23.18) for Tuesday 22nd.  The Owner of Altair Astro says he will deliver it personally that day if necessary.

That's good news. Lets hope he does. Then, when its fully delivered, you can thump 'im  :twisted:
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

I've already told him he's damaging his reputation as lots of my Astro friends know what is going on.

Carole

Carole

Phew!

It's finally arrived 4 1/2 months after ordering.  Driver was very helpful and said he only got my details yesterday and did not injure himself last week (see post on 16th June), and also said he is frustrated because he can never get hold of Altair Astro on the end of the phone (ditto).  I thought it was all BS.  

I haven't paid the delivery charge (as the driver did not want to take it, said he'd already been paid), so I'm holding onto that so I have a bit of leverage if there are any problems.  

I checked it all as far as I was able as some-one I have got chatting to on the POD Forum has had 2 left sided Visors delivered.  

Anyway, this is the current state of play,.  Next comes the fun of assembly.  I must say it is larger than I remembered!!

Mike

Are you sure that is going to fit on that base?

Carole

QuoteAre you sure that is going to fit on that base?

I flippin well hope so, I got all the dimensions from Altair Astro.  There should be 6 inches to spare.

Carole

Mike

PhilB

Quote from: Carole...It's finally arrived 4 1/2 months after ordering....

Oh heck, that confirms it...tomorrow must be the end of the world  :evil:

Sorry, Carole, couldn't resist......This is good and overdue news. Hope it goes together OK.  :P
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Fay

Looks like it just slots together so may be easy
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!