• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Slow connections

Started by Fay, Dec 09, 2007, 16:49:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Rick, Ian, I suppose you are aware of the very slow connections to the forum?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rick

Yeah. It's down to PowWeb's database servers, mostly.

JohnP

It seems to have been going on for a long time..... Haven't they got it sorted yet... It's a right pain - sometimes takes me several attempts before I can get on.....!

John

Mike

Have you registered complaints about these problems Rick? We never had this trouble when it was on my server and that was also Powweb.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

These days the PowWeb customer forums are full of folks complaining. :( Six months ago they weren't. It seems to me that PowWeb probably no longer have sufficient resources to serve all their customers. There've been a whole series of PowWeb performance issues. Many (most?) have been MySQL-related, but the current one seems to concern static images and stylesheets more than MySQL.

Carole

I thought the problem was at my end.  Relieved to see it's not.

Carole

Rick

It's one of those tricky problems. When it strikes the site can be un-usable. Then it goes away, and everything's fine for a while. Then it all goes sluggish again. It's not just you, and it's not even just the OAS sites. Way too many PowWeb customers seem to be making the same complaint. :(

Rick

If you get any messages which appear to pin-point a problem with the server, please send the information my way, and I'll add it to the current ticket. Server error messages, traceroutes, and so on...