• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

OAS website problem

Started by Whitters, Jan 07, 2003, 04:28:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

The OAS url has a problem. it appears that the default page is missing. The browser goes straight to a directory listing.

Mike

Yeah I get that too !
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Sue

I wondered where the list had come from! I'm glad it isn't a problem on our machine.

Greg

Not to worry it's getting sorted.

Mike

The same applies when viewing the OAS PDA site too !
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Greg

There is no problem with the Palm site as fas as I can see. My palm is updated virtually everyday! Today is no exception.

Mike

Sorry, was clicking the wrong button - just tested it and it works fine, last updated 2nd January

Greg

OK. This is the story so far. I have had a look at the coding on the "index" pages that Rick put up on the server. He was being clever by putting two up. One would be for the Christmas period and the other for afterwards. These should have kicked in (I think) automatically. However, since the names are not quite what the browser is looking for, it defaults to the sub files and folders - showing a long list of files.

Having established that. I tried to ring Rick at work, to see if everything was alright, because I thought he was coming back in early January. His work colleague told me he would not return until mid month. So unfortunately we will all have to wait till then.

We will all have to ask him how the elephants are when he gets back.

Mike

To see the site, scroll down the list and click on "index.html.old" - This will have to do till Rick sorts it out.

Rick

Ah, the perils of leaving computers to do things for themselves while you're away for a month...

I'd set up a "clear out the Xmas stuff" script to run on 6th Jan. Unfortunately my computers   suffered a powercut on 6th Jan, and the file system suffered...

I hope it's now fixed.

Happy New Year.

Ian

Hi Rick.

Welcome back. Did you have a good time?

Whitters