• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pixinsight Masterclass and other imaging classes

Started by Carole, Dec 18, 2022, 15:09:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

If any imagers or potential new imagers would like to have a lesson on either Pixinsight or any other aspect of imaging, Roberto Botero has kindly offered to do the Pixinsight class and we will see what we can organise for anything else.

Carole

Roy

Hi Carole,

I'm very,very interested in this as whilst I've used PixInsight a lot, there are two or three issues I still struggle with.

Thanks Roy

Carole

I will ask Roberto to organise a date and liaise with you and John Hulme who has liked this thread.

Carole

Carole

Roberto

Thank you Carole for getting the thread started.  I understand John Hulme is also interested and maybe Andrew Ramsay?

We can do this in the New Year over Zoom which I think it's the best way of demonstrating it live.  I suggest 8PM near Full Moon when it's cloudy/raining!  Not difficult to find  :lol:

Suggest some dates that work in January/February and I'm happy to match one of those.

Happy Christmas to All!

Roberto

JohnH

Any evening suits me (I think) - the only exception I know of is 25th Jan but that is nowhere near a full moon.

Thanks,

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Carole

I might look in just to watch if l can, but not a Pixinsight user. 

Carole

Roberto

Is this Thursday at 5:30pm/6pm too short notice for a first session?  We could cover calibration of images in PixInsight to start with.  I don't think it's an observing evening, right?

Otherwise we could look at Wednesday 11th at 8PM?  Or does a Saturday or Sunday morning work? At say, 10AM?

Roberto

Carole

Might be a good idea to E Mail participants Roberto. 

I will copy your post onto Whatsapp too.

Carole

Roberto

What's the name of the WhatsApp chat? Can the owner add me?

Roy

Roberto, Carole,

My preference would be Wednesday 11 January at 8:00 pm. Having had PixInsight for only 18 months or so, I very much consider myself a 'Newbie' and I'm happy to discuss any aspect of its operation. However there are a couple of areas I would like to hear about:

1   Processing strategies for calibrated data taking into account what processes can only be carried out on linear data and what must only be carried out on non-linear, i.e. stretched data.

2   And the thing I've had most trouble with, the 'Screen Transfer Function' along with 'Histogram Transformation' and 'Curves', i.e. the whole issue of stretching data.

Many thanks

Roy

Dave A

Roberto, Carole,

I am interested in attending.  I have not used Pixinsight or any other imaging software so would be good to learn
Wednesday 11th at 8.00pm would work for me

Dave Allen

Roberto

Ok let's settle for 8PM on the 11th. We can do this on Zoom if I can please have a way of hosting it with the society's account.

I would suggest we do more than one session and start with calibration and simple background manipulations.

In another session we can look at linear work and stretching.

Roberto

JohnH

Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".