• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

A New M31

Started by JohnH, Dec 10, 2022, 14:54:15

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnH

A return to a subject I imaged last winter to see if I improved my technique. [Answer: yes and no]

This is what remained from 440 subframes taken on 8th December (5hrs 40mins) LRGB. I lost about one third of RGB subs because my guide scope was frosting over.

Sharpstar 15028 HNT (150mm diameter, f2.8 )
ZWO ASI1600Pro Mono camera (Gain 139, Temp -15C)
iOptron CEM 25P
ASIAir Pro control for:
ZWO Electronic Autofocus, ZWO Electronic Filterwheel and guiding.

Processed in Pixinsight with a bit of Photoshop for masks and sharpening.

I think imbalance/lack of colour data is responsible for the odd colour lower right. I would have liked Ha data but there was no point trying for 180 sec + subframes with barely any guiding. In any event, I might reprocess when I have some time.

At the moment I am fighting with an image of the Iris Nebula. I have discovered a new way to mess the images: I had a piece of material over the flat panel for the Flat frames to try to reduce its brightness. When I looked at the calibrated frames there are strange patches of light and dark consistently located on all filters. I checked and the material was not pulled completely tight creating areas of unevenness.

Regards to all,

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Hugh

Carole

That's looking very good John, you seem to have sorted your weird stars shapes out now, well done.
Really great to see you getting outside again.

Carole

Carole

QuoteAt the moment I am fighting with an image of the Iris Nebula. I have discovered a new way to mess the images: I had a piece of material over the flat panel for the Flat frames to try to reduce its brightness. When I looked at the calibrated frames there are strange patches of light and dark consistently located on all filters. I checked and the material was not pulled completely tight creating areas of unevenness.

We should start a list of stupid or erroneous things we have done, it would make excellent and hilarious reading. 
I myself made a stupid error last night one I have never done before - After owing a SkyPOD Observatory for 12 years I went to open the dome last night and it would not budge.  I presumed it was iced up, and rather than damage the gasket, decided I needed to shut down and wait for the weather to improve.  I had already half shut everything down when I suddenly noticed the dome locking bolt was still in place - duh!!!

Carole

Roberto

That came out really well John!  8)

Roberto

JohnH

Thanks all.

One day I will be patient enough to collect enough data.

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Carole

It will be easier once you have an O bservatory John.

Carole