• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Rosette Nebula

Started by JohnH, Feb 11, 2022, 23:15:52

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnH

Taken on 10th February from Bromley (Bortle 7) - Moon ~65%
Sharpstar 15028 HNT f2.8
Imaging camera: ASI1600 MM Pro (cooled to -15C)
Mount: iOptron CEM 25 P
Luminance is Ha, Chrominance is R+Ha G B+Ha. Total imaging time: 3 hours 25 minutes.
Camera, mount, filters, focus and guide by ASIAir Pro.
Processing: Pixinsight.

The Rosette Nebula is, primarily, an emission nebula of glowing Hydrogen gas. The centre contains a reflection element which should be blue but doesn't seem to be in my image! It is estimated to be 128 light years across and 5,500 light years distance.

I also took some unfocused star images which I will post separately with other data re image quality. Suffice to say it is amazing I get any images at all!

Regards,

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Carole

Hi John,

That looks a really nice image John, provided we don't look closely at the stars, wish we could get the problems sorted out. 

Carole

ApophisAstros

Very good detail there John , stars have been the bain of my processing life so good luck sorting yours ,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Really sorry this lovely image looked so awful on the screen at the meeting.  We have had these sort of issues in the past and we had adjusted the projector.  So was rather suprised that it happened again, this does tend to happen more with Reds.

Bit scared to ask them to adjust it again in case it makes things even worse.

Carole