• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Winter Sporadic Meteors - 29th-30th January

Started by Rick, Jan 31, 2022, 14:48:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Sadly, the night of the Quadrantids maximum was clouded out here, though in a few parts of the country there were clear skies and some of the UK Meteor Network cameras recorded impressive displays.

From late January to mid April there are very few established meteor showers, but that doesn't mean there aren't many meteors. This tracked stack covering the night of 29th to 30th January 2022 shows 48 meteors. Two appear to be associated with the Omicron Hydrids shower, and one with the Alpha Antilids. The other 45 are sporadics.

At about 18:48 UTC on 29th January a bright fireball that was seen from most of the UK. Sadly (from my point of view) I wasn't looking in the right direction at the right instant, and its path through the sky here was below my camera's field of view (so I didn't catch it on camera either), but here's a report about it from the International Meteor Organisation and an orbital solution from the UK Meteor Network.