• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Obs Offrs report for May 2020

Started by doug, May 12, 2020, 10:05:14

Previous topic - Next topic

doug

Hi all. Because of the lockdown, I obviously cannot give you my Observing reports so am sending them into Klitos for inclusion on the website. I have just sent my May report; it has a lot of members images so please have a look when it is put on the website; it`s well worth it.

Stay safe, and really looking forward when we can all get together again.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

ApophisAstros

Thanks Doug , looking forward to it.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Wouldn't it be easier to add it as an attachment?

Carole

Hugh

Hi Carole

Adding as an attachment would be useful for the Forum users only.  Many members don't use the Forum and putting it on the website has the double action of showing that we are still operating as a society (for members and outside viewers) even if not meeting.

Best as always

Hugh

Roberto

Doug, Hugh

Thank you for posting the observing reports!  I am looking at March and April's now.
Can I make a suggestion if I may?  Can these reports be uploaded to the website as PDF documents instead of PowerPoint (PPT) presentations?  PowerPoint allows for exporting or saving the presentations in PDF format so this can be achieved from the editing program already.  Also, PDF files, as their name suggests are portable documents which anyone can open using a browser and most devices come equipped with PDF readers.  Opening a PPT file may not be possible for everyone.  The quality of the graphics and images should not suffer when exporting to PDF but the size of the file reduces enormously - for example the April presentation goes from 75MB to 6.4MB  by changing the format.

Roberto

Hugh

Hi Roberto

Thanks for the advice.  I have no direct input to Doug's report (other than reading it) but I'm sure that perhaps he could liaise with Roy to see the best way to achieve publishing for the ease of access to all.

Best

Hugh

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Roberto on May 12, 2020, 13:17:49
Doug, Hugh

Thank you for posting the observing reports!  I am looking at March and April's now.
Can I make a suggestion if I may?  Can these reports be uploaded to the website as PDF documents instead of PowerPoint (PPT) presentations?  PowerPoint allows for exporting or saving the presentations in PDF format so this can be achieved from the editing program already.  Also, PDF files, as their name suggests are portable documents which anyone can open using a browser and most devices come equipped with PDF readers.  Opening a PPT file may not be possible for everyone.  The quality of the graphics and images should not suffer when exporting to PDF but the size of the file reduces enormously - for example the April presentation goes from 75MB to 6.4MB  by changing the format.

Roberto
I was hoping for this aswell , as PDF will open in chrome web browser.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

I have a feeling Doug has limited software to be able to do this. 

Carole

doug

Yes, I have limited software, but as I have never done the report in that medium, I wouldn`t know where to start... I know nothing...

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

ApophisAstros

I thought it went to Klitos for posting it is easy to convert and save as a PDF.
Roger

Hugh

Hi All

Just to advise that I have spoken with Roy and he agrees that a PDF would be better.

He will liaise with Doug and arrangements will be made to assist Doug provide the easier to download PDF for the website.

Thanks for pointing out the problem.

Clear skies

Hugh

ApophisAstros

Carole

Personally I would like it added as an attachment in the forum as well, took me ages to find the last 2 reports this morning, especially as I also had to hunt for my website login (as opposed to forum login).

Carole

Rick

Links for the three most recent reports are in the bottom right corner of the home page, and you shouldn't need to login to read them.

NoelC

I must be doing something wrong Rick; all I can see is March and April's.
Swapped telescopes for armchair.