• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC 443 Jellyfish Nebula 20160114 Manche, France

Started by The Thing, Jan 20, 2016, 21:56:19

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

This is 4h25m (300s @ ISO1600) of subs taken over three nights, mostly taken synchronised with the other DSLR piggybacked under the OTA. Sky quality varied a lot and some was taken with local streetlights on, some off. No light pollution filter was used. This is a full intersection stack so the very edges are missing. It could use some sharpening and the stars at the edge are a bit squiffy as usual with my scope.

Image date, time and location:   201601-07-14-15, Manche, France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   LX90 8", Baader Alan Gee II Telecompressor f6
Camera and filters used:   Canon 1100D IR filter removed
Processing applied:   DeepSkyStacker, Dark Flats applied

MarkS

I see what you mean about the squiffy stars. They are well controlled in the centre though. 

It's a tough target for a DSLR and the overall result is good.

To be honest, your version looks more like a jellyfish than Robert's excellent image:
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=10630.0

Mark

The Thing

The colour balance of the first version was awful. I reprocessed this a few days ago in StarTools and LightZone which has good noise reduction amongst other things. All other details are the same. Click for a larger image.

Carole

I never attempted this target with a DSLR so no idea how difficult it is, but looks pretty good.

Bit confused about this:
Quotemostly taken synchronised with the other DSLR piggybacked under the OTA
So are you saying you had two cameras capturing the data, one with the scope and one without?  If so no details given on the 2nd camera.  You are usually meticulous about that. 

Carole

PS: I just balanced the colours, and it looks even better, star colours show better too.

The Thing

The piggybacked or more acccurately underslung DSLR was simultaneously taking subs of a wider angle view -see my other recent post. APT can synchronise the shutters so they don't shake each other while exposing.

Carole

QuoteAPT can synchronise the shutters so they don't shake each other while exposing.
Clever APT.

Well done.

Carole