• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Cairds DSC facility update

Started by Carole, Oct 19, 2014, 11:33:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

As you know I have been at Cairds again this weekend (still there).

As stated previously they are really friendly and helpful and it is a nice dark site.  Also interested in what we do which is a big plus.

They now have a glamping POD which I know fay has her eye on which has a double bed and a settee that also converts into a double bed but they are in the same room.  En suite and a kitchen area.  They are planning another but have spent a lot on a 2nd toilet and shower, so the 2nd one is delayed at the moment.

Due to it being a small site they can't guarantee to accommodate us in the peak season, but he says he is happy for us to book the winter months October to March and cancel if the weather is no good.  If we want to book the busier season we would have to book and pay as they would be turning people away if we did';t come.  This is obviously the bummer.  However if we wanted to just pay for a couple of pitches (to house our astro kit) if there is no room for our tents/vans (likely) then we could pitch the other side of the fence and just use the electric pitches for the astro kit, they have splitters.  This is less of a financial risk between us.

Anyway, hopefully we might have found something else we can use in the summer if Running Water gets in touch with us, but I thought I would mention this and hopefully you guys will come and try the camp out in the near future. 

They also have a tractor in case any-one gets stuck on the grass.

Carole

The Thing

I think Cairds is potentially better than Running Waters. It was truly dark and very very quiet (no main road). It's also up a hill so less chance of mistiness (but more foginess?). Also methinks less likely to have an influx of lithuanian all night ravers.

Carole

As Mike is retiring as Observing Officer in the near future, I thought I'd post up the info, and there are always UDSC to consider.

Carole

Fay

how much are the pods carole?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ivor

Carole how has the ground been? When I went the first time it was sodden I could hear the water trickling down the field.

Has there been many cars down the lane and have they caused any problems with your imaging?

I do think this site has a lot of potential, and tatical positioning of cars could make a difference with passing cars.

Carole

Quotehow much are the pods carole?
Can't remember Fay, I'll ask him again tomorrow.

The ground is OK Ivor, though I have yet to drive out from my pitch tomorrow. 

QuoteHas there been many cars down the lane and have they caused any problems with your imaging?
Chance would be a fine thing - no imaging first night as got dewed up, last night no clear skies and I am still waiting for it to clear as forecast this evening.

I don't find the occasional passing cars at all troublesome, as the head lights are not pointing towards the field and as they are behind the trees, I doubt anyone is likely to be pointing their scopes in that direction.    I don't think it would affect imaging, only those hypersensitive to their night vision if they look in that direction, but I do mean those "hypersensitive" as I don't even think that's a problem either, but just my opinion. 

The owner also said regarding the ground that if the ground was a bit wet we could leave the cars in the car park and pitch out tents on the field if we were at all doubtful at any time, but the car park is not very big, I don't think we'd get a lot of cars in there, but you'll have to judge it yourselves when you come down.

Carole

Mike

Thanks for the info. Carole. I've yet to go to this site so can't comment. Hopefully will get a chance to give it a try out in the net few months.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Just got back.  It was supposed to be completely clear last night, but I was dodging the clouds much of the evening and gave up at 4am, though I did manage to get a bit done with no condensation problems this time.

I was bothered by how many planes were passing overhead and some by their altitude were obviously coming into land at Gatwick, several times I had to put the lens cap in front of the aperture to prevent star trails but I missed this one  :! :! :!

I don't recall having any problems with planes the last time I was here.  However the good news is that most of them were approaching Gatwick from the South in a NW direction which meant that they were passing over the trees, so another reason not to image in that direction, which unfortunately I was for the early part of the evening.

Amusing incidents:

I got caught out on Saturday night which was predicted to have a 2 hour window of clear sky.  At one point was busy trying to find an alignment star looking at the laptop and wondering why i couldn't find it when I looked up and saw it had clouded up.  Not only that it suddenly started to rain (also not predicted).  Didn't know what to cover up first. chucked the new scope cover over the rig which partly covers the electrics in the plastic box below, no time to shut down my USB's safely just had to yank them all out quick and chuck them into the plastic box and put the lid on quickly and switch off the electric supply.  Benny Hill springs to mind  ;) ;)

Also today, as the camp is on a slope, although the ground is not at all bad, my wheels got stuck in a spin on the damp grass so they had to pull me up the slope by tractor - that was fun!!!  I think I would have been OK if I hadn't put in wheel chocks behind the rear wheels as I would have had more chance to manouvre. 

Carole

Mike

Hmmm, Tenderden and that farm overlooking the floodlit church springs to mind.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

mickw

The infamous Stairs Farm - Hartfield
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

yes i was wracking my brains there  ha ha
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

It does sound like it but I'd go there again but not when it's very wet and won't image in the flight path direction again.

Carole

Carole

Forgot to say I saw quite a few of the Orionids, and a fireball which seemed to blow itself up.

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Forgot to say I saw quite a few of the Orionids, and a fireball which seemed to blow itself up.

Was that last night?  I saw one as well - might've been the same one.  Probably the second brightest I've ever seen.

Mark