• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC7538 incorporating The Wizard Nebula

Started by The Thing, Oct 08, 2014, 10:35:39

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

NGC7538 12x600s incorporating the 'Wizard' nebula. Processed in DSS using Entropy Weighted stacking. LX90 8" BAGII Telecompressor, OAG, QHY5L-II, Canon 1000Da, IDAS LPS-D1 light pollution filter, HEQ5 with belt mod, Meade tripod. Taken at Montchaton, Normandy.

Bit disappointing given the dark sky (0.62% in DSS), not enough data for one thing (clouded up) and the flats haven't corrected the vignetting very well. I also did 3.5 hours in Provence in September but the sky had a lot of moisture in it and wasn't nearly as dark where I was (1.7% in DSS). For comparison in Beckenham the sky background (with Astronomik CLS-CLP Filter) is around 14%.

Carole

I've always found this one difficult from Bromley and have been saving it up for a dark sky.  I think you have done well with a DSLR.

Carole

MarkS

A good attempt on a difficult subject for a DSLR.

Some background subtraction would help with the vignetting problem.

Mark

RobertM

Very nice that Duncan, you've done well.  I'll look at it on s bigger monitor when I get a chance.

Robert

Fay

Dont be hard on yourself Duncan, it has come out very well. they look very nice stars and a good Wizard!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Nice Duncan - good job - I remember doing this in South of France last year (after we had Lunch at your holiday pad :-) ) & it really jumped out in Ha with the dark skies down there.. I like this object & think you have got a good image - John

RobertM

mind if I have a go at processing it ?

The Thing

Quote from: RobertM on Oct 10, 2014, 10:55:58
mind if I have a go at processing it ?
Don't mind at all. Do you want the DSS stacked FITS file with no editing or the lights, darks, flats and bias files?   I'm sure there is a lot more to be revealed with the right processing. I had a go with StarTools but didn't get anywhere.

BTW Guiding was around 0.4 arcec RMS and I was as sharply mask focused as I can get with my setup so the data should be good as well as using my new IDAS LPS-D1 filter so colour data should be good as well.

Fay

can i have a go too Duncan ? all the separate files. do you use Dropbox?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

You've seen the light ! Literally seeing much more without the CLS :)
[/quote]
using my new IDAS LPS-D1 filter so colour data should be good as well.
[/quote]

julian

MarkS

The IDAS LPS-D1 - I didn't spot that!  It's a great filter :)

Mark

The Thing

I've put the Astronomik CLS-CCD clip filter in my unmodded 1100D for use on the Star Adventurer RA drive, so I needed another LP filter and Tan14 came up trumps.