• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camps for October/ November

Started by Carole, Oct 02, 2014, 11:50:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I managed to get hold of Len's wife at Running Water today, she says they still haven't moved but it's imminent.

I asked whether they have hook up at the new place and she said "No but it won't take long to get it".  They are going to keep me informed. 

To be honest I think we should forget October for Len's new place at St Mary's Bay I think it is unlikely to be ready for us and in any case I think Mark was going to go down there once he has the address which they won't give us until they move. 

I suggest we try Cairds Campsite for October/November, hopefully they will be able to accommodate us as the main season is over.  It's just that it is small and they can't normally accommodate us in the busy season.  Tried and tested by me and approved by Duncan for it's darkness (did my M51 there). 

October - New Moon is on a Thursday.  If it's the weekend of 17th to 19th I will be at Peak Star party, if we choose the weekend of 24th - 26th I can come to OAS DSC. 

I'll give the Owner of Cairds an E mail to see what the situation is. 

Carole

Fay

I wanted to go, but not 100% if i can make those two dates, i may have to wait until november, will check it out
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Sorry Mike, should have run this past you before posting, but as I seem to have got involved with Running Water and Cairds and I keep getting chased about the situation at RW as they were going to let me know, I decided to take the bull by the horns and ring them direct today. 

I can just report back and you will obviously make the decision on where to go and which dates, although I think the October one is an UDSC.

Carole

Carole

This is the reply from Cairds Campsite.

QuoteThe dates are all available at the moment. The ground is also fine but it really depends on the weather if it stays dry it will not be a problem.

I will leave it to you guys to decide what you want to do.  I can supply an E mail address and details for Cairds if you want to go there.

Carole

Ivor

I hope to come in November if I've fixed my mount. I had an eureka moment the other day and managed to take some subs without the stars having trails, I need to run a further test so I can examine the results in PecPrep to be sure. Don't mind where it is.

I must have missed something and I can't see an obvious thread what going on with Running water?

Carole

QuoteI must have missed something and I can't see an obvious thread what going on with Running water?
Running Water owner Len and his wife informed us when we were there last that they were selling up and the new owner was planning to use the site as a touring park.  He then said he was moving to a smaller site not far away in St Mary's Bay where he would be able to provide camping for "people he knows".  He thought it would be a month away, but it hasn't yet happened.

His wife told me yesterday it is imminent and that they will need to get hook up put in when they get there.  Mark is going to do a Reckie once we have the address which Len won't give us until they are actually there.  Len says it is on the coast and will be imminently suitable, but we need to check this ourselves.

So really just waiting on this at the moment - a good opportunity to use Cairds which is available to us now the main season is over.

Carole

Mike

Quote from: Carole on Oct 02, 2014, 13:53:59
Sorry Mike, should have run this past you before posting

Carole not a problem. We were looking for a volunteer to take over as Observing Officer anyway. Thanks for volunteering.

;)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

:P

Ha ha, as I said to you I am happy to do the calendar and co-ordinate DSC, but not the actual observing evening. 

Carole