• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Dumbbell Nebula HaRGB now with Oiii added

Started by Carole, Sep 29, 2014, 19:22:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

(For Oiii added scroll down to 21/10/2014)
Tried to get the skirt on this.  Ran out of time before it disappeared behind a tree.  Not much colour, will have to add to later on.

Ha 2 x 30mins & 2 x 20 mins
RGB 2 x 15mins binned x 2

Skywatcher ED120 and Atik314L
NEQ6
Captured in Artemis, stacked in AA and processed in Registar and Photoshop

MarkH

RobertM

Looking really good Carole, part of the skirt too !  Bit of blue fringing around the brighter stars but it certainly looks to me like one of your best images to date.

Robert

Mike

Nice image Carole. However, your stars are still weird colours. Lots of orange stars that should be white. It's teh same on lots of your other images too.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Thanks Robert and Mark.

Dunno why that happens Mike, but I did stretch the colour on this one a bit trying to bring out any possible colour in the skirt.  All I can do is combine the filters and see what comes out.  If you have any suggestions or solutions I'd be glad to hear them.

Carole

Mike

My guess is you are not weighting the filters as in giving 33% to each one instead of balancing them correctly.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Beautiful image!  You are definitely on a roll.

The skirt is coming out well and the stars have good colour.  Overall its very nicely processed.  One of your best.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark. 

QuoteMy guess is you are not weighting the filters as in giving 33%
Bit puzzled over the balancing the filters Mike, as I did equal amounts for each colour, I am sure most people do a lot more Lum or Ha to RGB to give it the detail:
QuoteRGB 2 x 15mins binned x 2

I guess I'll find the answer one day.

Carole

Ivor

Great image, I love the detail you've pulled out.

Regarding star colour, I wonder if it is a monitor calibration issue (perhaps not just your screen as well), I recall a previous image of yours I saw a rectangle in the background which you couldn't see until you heavily stretch the image. I find the difference in colours between the monitors in the office and my laptop which I've calibrated can be significant. Looking at the white stars from the office screen your white stars look blue which highlights the point.

Carole

Thanks Ivor.

Well I did my processing on 3 of my images actually at Kelling on my laptop, I haven't noticed any difference since I have been home. 

I still have a 4th one to process.  I did process it at Kelling but I have some more data at home to add to it which wasn't on my laptop.

I am sure you are right Ivor, I seem to recall having done a monitor calibration when I first got this desktop a few months ago.  Maybe it's other people's monitors that are showing things up which don't show on mine.  I know when Mike shows members images at the meetings they look quite different sometimes disappointingly so and I think he uses his Mac.

Carole

The Thing

Looking really good Carole. More data!!!!!

Carole

Mike

Quote from: Ivor on Sep 30, 2014, 12:38:39
Regarding star colour, I wonder if it is a monitor calibration issue (perhaps not just your screen as well), I recall a previous image of yours I saw a rectangle in the background which you couldn't see until you heavily stretch the image. I find the difference in colours between the monitors in the office and my laptop which I've calibrated can be significant. Looking at the white stars from the office screen your white stars look blue which highlights the point.

Yeah the larger 'white' stars look violet to me, on my work laptop, home laptop, home PC, etc. and all of the smaller stars in the background look a rusty orange kind of colour. It doesn't look right at all.

Apart from that though the image overall is great with lovely details on the extended shell.

Fay

Very nice Dumb bell Carole. definitely one of your best!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole