• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Polar Startrails. 4 July 2012 00:29, Gonneville, 50560, Manche.

Started by The Thing, Jul 04, 2014, 20:44:02

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Polar Startrails. 4 July 2012 00:29, Gonneville, 50560, Manche. 200 x 60s. Canon 1000Da with 50mm Pentax lens at f4, no filters.
Gaps at the end of the trails are clouds obscuring the stars. There is an Iridium flare and several planes and satellites.

Click image for 1/2 sized version

Carole

The Thing

Thanks Carole.

BTW the Iridium flare is the bright dot on the far left middle (shows much better on the individual sub) and alignment was a bit of trial and error. FoV is 20 x 24 degrees.

MarkH

Excellent Duncan it kind of resembles the view out of a sweet shop window at night. :D

Carole

I feel like I am falling into a vortex with a black hole at the bottom.

Carole

MarkS

JohnP

Excellent Duncan - Thats come out really well - shows star colours really nicely. Only comment would background needs cleaning a little (hot/ rogue pixels etc.) but other than that top notch. I've never managed to get an image like this & its definitely on my todo list.

John

The Thing

Thanks John.

This was a first cut process using Startrails. I set it to create an averaged background from 5 frames but it seems to have retained some stars in the background. I didn't use darks as the subs were only 10 seconds. A lot of the hot pixels are airplane trails and there is a satellite track and the Iridium flare. I should really have left those subs out - Startrails (updated recentlyish) has an option to fill in the gaps. I didn't do any cleaning up of the final image, a bit of gamma tweaking makes it really psychadelic! Always room for improvement!

Mike

Really nice Duncan. Only criticism from me is that a lot of the stars look pink to me.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing