• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Possible UDSC - maybe 2nd & 3rd May?

Started by Carole, Apr 24, 2014, 09:12:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I was supposed to be going to Astrocamp in the Brecon Beacons this weekend, but the weather forecast looks as though the trip will be a waste of time.

However the forecast in Kent is looking a bit better.  

Any-one fancy a possible trip to a campsite that a few of us were going to try out just south of Bewl water - Cairds Farm.  Ivor found the site and has been down there when it is dark to reckie it and doug Rose and myself went down to see it in the daytime earlier in the year.  There is a risk of car lights from a small country road, but otherwise it's a small camp so not over-run with hoards of campers.  

I've checked with the owner that the ground is OK and he says there are 2 or 3 other bookings, and I think it will take up to 15 in total.  

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=10001

I will only go if it looks like a chance of clear skies and at the moment it looks like some clear skies after midnight on Friday and SOME on Saturday evening.  

Any-one else fancy trying it out?  They are planning to install a glamping POD in the near future which might suit some of our members who don't want to camp.  

Otherwise we could go to Rother valley if they have space.

Getting really fed up with lack of dark skies.

Carole

MarkS

Unfortunately I have plans for this weekend (including Herstmonceux on Saturday night).  Otherwise I would definitely be interested in a uDSC.

Mark

Carole

Oh yes had forgotten about the OAS visit to Herstmonceux.  I'll keep an eye on the weather and if it looks promising I might try out Cairds Farm on my own if no-one else wants to come but it's always nicer if other astronomers are there.

Carole

The Thing

There's always the BH weekend. I would be up for it but I am going to Herstmonceux and I am battling with a knackered right knee.

Carole

Unfortunately I can't make the BH weekend.

Carole

Carole

OK, well since no-one else can go and the forecast for Wales is not good at all, I have decided to go down for a one nighter tomorrow (Saturday) to try out the campsite that Ivor found.  Although there will be 2 or 3 other ordinary campers there it's not the same as having people you know who are also astronomers, so I didn't fancy doing more than one night.    

But it will give me the chance to try the camp out.  

Duncan mentioned next weekend as a possibility.  I thought I had something on on the Saturday, but just checked and it's actually on the Sunday, so I could do Friday and Saturday, so I hope the weather will be OK and perhaps we can have an UDSC on 2nd & 3rd May.

Who's up for it and where do you want to go?

Looking at Duncan's post above, he says he would be interested, is that still the case Duncan?

Carole

Fay

i cant go this weekend carole as have arrangements
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

What about next weekend Fay - see last post?

Carole

Sue

Looks really nice,going to Herstmonceux today but will give some thought to next weekend. May be going up to Nottingham - will know nearer the time. Definatly cannot do the official DSC at end of May.

Carole

I did a one nighter last night on my own as no-one else was available.  Wasn't I lucky with the weather.

See separate thread.

carole