• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

A meteor?

Started by Marek, Apr 05, 2014, 20:32:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Marek

Hello everyone!
Yesterday was very long and tiring day for me at work,spontaneously i decided to go out and watch the stars last night,I went to the Ashdown forest just off  East Grinstead,I got there just before midnight,and stayed till 2.30 A.M.,while watching i had an enormous pleasure to see something strange that I've not seen befor ,not sure  it was  something due my tiredness or late night but I could swore that i have seen a meteor X2,the very first one was minutes after midnight and i thought that I'm halucinating,the second one was visible in Leo around 2.00 AM could see something very blurry moving fast few degrees from west towards the east,lasted only for a second,could it have been a meteor?let me just mention to you that both objects were quite dimm they weren't moving points rather  small clouds moving very fast ,awaiting for your opinion:)

mickw

Unlikely to be a meteor without it leaving a trail.
Very likely to be one of the many satellites in orbit which appear as dots and move fairly slowly.
You could get lucky and spot a "flare" which occurs when the sun (below the horizon) reflects off the satellite's array, these make them flash very brightly.
Another thing you may be lucky to spot would be the ISS, this appears brighter than a satellite and moves much faster.

You can find details of satellites, flares and ISS here -
http://www.heavens-above.com/
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Marek

Thanx for the link Mick I am familiar with the website,it could has been a flare as you say ,not the satelite  ,the object was very diffused , hope to see something like this in the future left a very nice imprint on my astropersonality:)

Rick

Satellite flares usually look quite clear. I suspect you probably did see meteors. Not all of them have obvious trails, particularly fainter meteors, and where they do, the trails are fainter than the meteor itself.

Mike

A flare will be slow and look like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI_iUOeJEGg

A meteor is very fast and looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPb0wUUVzmc
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Marek

Judging by the speed of it ,it was meteor,but it was very diffused, as i mentioned that before,thanx for your help folks,at least someone belives me  and seriously  takes it ,unlike my work collegues:)

Rick

Was there high thin cloud? That'd make the thing look blurry.

If you wear glasses you also have to watch out for reflections, which are much more obvious against a dark sky than they are in daylight.

Marek

The sky was clear and quite dark much darker that in my usual place in Headley Heath,no clouds were there,and the aparent meteor was very high in the sky !
Cheerio:) P.S bare sighted no glasses as yet:0)