• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

setting up new computer!!!

Started by Fay, Apr 05, 2014, 13:48:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

BING has taken over from GOOGLE Chrome, can anyone advise how to get rid of it. enough problems as it is!

Thanks
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkH

Hopefully you're using windows 7 and not 8, if so I think it is under computer settings , prefferences and browser choice.

mickw

Bing is a search engine like Google.

Chrome is a browser and with a new PC you should have a choice of what browser to use - usually Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome and should have been one of the choices when you first used the PC and internet
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

every time i change it it changes back again. a hammer is going to be in my hand very early on in this setup!!!!!!!!

MarkH

Fay try going to settings, -remove software, - and remove the bing software completely and then back to the original step.

mickw

Or use whatever internet browser software that's installed to download Chrome and save the setup program to desktop.

Then do the add/remove thing to remove internet explorer

Then run the Chrome setup

RobertM

I've found that particularly annoying too.  It happens when you select to install all updates rather than being picky.  One of the recent updates was to upgrade Bing but unfortunately it not only updates a current install but installs and hijacks settings.  I think the European Commission should investigate this blatant spyware install (about the only thing they're good for).

You should look in add remove program's it should be removable from there.

Fay

i cant get so many things to work. i did the laptop easy but this is different. the chap who helps me is away for 4 days, i could be in an asylum by the time he comes back.

mickw

Quotei could be in an asylum by the time he comes back

That's because you are so committed  :lol: