• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Cant remove Arcsoft Visual Effects...................

Started by Fay, Apr 04, 2014, 19:03:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

....................from Sony Win 7 laptop. it has a webcam built in. i am trying to test using my DMK as a guide camera, but these effects pop up & the screen goes blue. i am thinking perhaps I have to disable the integrated web camera first

Has anyone any clues?  thanks
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Going to their website it says this:

"The program's Video Plug-in technology means that Magic-i Visual Effects launches automatically whenever you start a video chat or open one of your favorite webcam applications. There's nothing to it! "

Nightmare!  Maybe it has a settings screen allowing you to tell it not to add moustaches, spectacles and pirate hats to star fields in PHD?

Personally I would completely uninstall it.  Especially when the website says "This product will no longer be maintained and updated".

Who needs this junk?

On the other hand the problem may be that as soon as you plug the camera in, the webchat application launches automatically because it assumes you want to use the DMK instead of the inbuilt webcam. In which case it is the webchat that is the main problem.

I've never had a laptop with webcam so I'm not much help!

Mark

mickw

Are you supposed to install the DMK software before you plug the camera in ? and Did you ?
You might need to do this -
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=5067.msg28021;topicseen#msg28021
Assuming you can in W7

Windows thinks it knows best  :roll: and will usually install a driver to make whatever you plug in work.  It will assume a webcam is for chatting unless some previously installed software says otherwise.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

:lol: :lol: yes dont think i will guide too well on a pirate hat!!!!

i will try to uninstall it all, never sure how it affects anything else. not too worried about the webcam on there

Mick, i would not feel confident to do all that. i have a chap coming around tonight, to look at my new desktop that has arrived. i will try to uninstall arcsoft before asking him about it later.

Fay

deleted all of Arcsoft, but blue screen when connecting DMK via HUB. if i plug into laptop direct, it appears to be ok

RobertM

QuoteMick, i would not feel confident to do all that. i have a chap coming around tonight, to look at my new desktop that has arrived. i will try to uninstall arcsoft before asking him about it later.

Wow must be some computer if someone is coming around just to look at it.  Could you post a picture ?

Fay

:D :D well it seems the the DMK will only work on the laptop if plugged in direct not via the hub, as the screen still goes blue each time

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional